Ruppster buggy

Ding Ding

My neighbor has an old Ruppster buggy in his garage that is very complete and in pretty good condition. It is red in color, and has 4 wheels. That's really all I know about it, and he doesn't know much else. The intention is to get it functioning at some point. I'd like to assist him with getting the project moving and figured this would be a great place to start gathering any information on the thing. The more I can learn and share with him, the sooner he might get working on it.

Looks like this:

Anybody have one? Anybody have any details on these? Years made, powertrain? I did search google for a couple of minutes and found bits and pieces of information. Sounds like these were made in 1971 and had a 230cc Rockwell 2 stroke....?

Thanks in advance
~Mike

If it still has the J-lo Id get a Predator 420 and swap it. Much more reliable. I had one and sold it to a friend. When the J-lo runs it screams. The head is hard to keep sealed and the carb....:censure::doah:

That is a cool looking buggy! You have one lucky neighbor! :thumbsup: It reminds me of the old Muskin Dune Cat which besides the Muskin Tri-Cat, is another favorite of mine that is on my list of "must haves". I don't know what it is about those old trikes and buggy's with those big balloon knobby tires and retro metal flake painted bodies that draws me to them.
Btw, can you post more pics?

Shawn

Last edited:

Ding Ding

That is a cool looking buggy! You have one lucky neighbor! :thumbsup: It reminds me of the old Muskin Dune Cat which besides the Muskin Tri-Cat, is another favorite of mine that is on my list of "must haves". I don't know what it is about those old trikes and buggy's with those big balloon knobby tires and retro metal flake painted bodies that draws me to them.
Btw, can you post more pics?

Shawn
The picture I posted is just of a Ruppster buggy, and not specifically my neighbor's...but they look identical.

Just search google images for "ruppster" and you will get all kinds of pictures.

I was a Rupp dealer back when they were being made and I had one as a shop demo . The problems I ran into was the new owners were not good with 2 stroke engines and the ignition would pull in heavy amounts of dust into the ignition and that would ground out the points. I had to build up a intake air filter that drew cooling air from above the fiberglass body and that made it so that their planed outings didn't end with a big disappointment.
Steve

I've got a few of the Rockwell JLo's 230-295 & 300 and I rarely have a issue...they scream. But what Steve said is 100% true,if they are in a semi enclosed area (engine bay) you will get a build up on the points & inside magnets from dust,road grime & even belt debris. I simply hit mine with the old blow gun every so often.
I had a chance to buy one of those Ruppsters about 5 years ago and passed...still beating myself up over that !
If it does still have the JLo in it I have manuals on PDF.

Steve, do you know how many were made and how many years they were made, what ones are the rarest? And what they may be worth 100% original and mint condition thanks, I have a couple and working on a 3 Rd