Ruttman....Not??

Those are cool!, they sure have some neat stuff there in Cananada. Too bad that a one man operation can't keep their doors open due to lawsuits nowadays. People wonder why everything comes from China, if they would stop suing the little guys trying to make a living in their home country and putting them out of business, maybe, just maybe, less crap would make its way across the pond.

Yup. His daughter would go out to his shop and help him sometimes. Business came to an end after an accident and lawsuit in the go kart industry caused a failure in the market. I’ll be back to see Lloyd in the spring for some more parts and stories
Was the accident with his product or another company?

Oldyellow

Not with his company. I think I know who but am reluctant to say, and it wasn’t a mini bike but a go kart. A young ladies hair got caught in the chain and hurt her severely. The company that built the kart also built mini bikes. The lawsuit affected the whole industry.
To Danny P. I have seen many SPROCKET minis and never have I seen one with a broken frame, In fact the builder was concerned the fork neck welds might not hold up but turned out to be the most unique feature of the SPROCKET mini and the strongest point having never seen a failure. This is # 800

Attachments

Oldyellow

My buddy picked this up recently, at first we thought it was a Ruttman but I think it's just a copy? Maybe a late Lil Indian:confused:The front where the down tubes meet the neck is what threw me off... It looks like there was a disc brake mount at one time?

It is a Canadian made Sprocket Mini. That weld you see there was once a bracket for the chainguard. The chainguards were actually fibreglass Manco copies.

Attachments

Not with his company. I think I know who but am reluctant to say, and it wasn’t a mini bike but a go kart. A young ladies hair got caught in the chain and hurt her severely. The company that built the kart also built mini bikes. The lawsuit affected the whole industry.
To Danny P. I have seen many SPROCKET minis and never have I seen one with a broken frame, In fact the builder was concerned the fork neck welds might not hold up but turned out to be the most unique feature of the SPROCKET mini and the strongest point having never seen a failure. This is # 800
Would you like to see the bike being built again?

Oldyellow

Would you like to see the bike being built again?
Hi Danny, I’d love to see them built again. Lloyd still has all the tooling, jigs and forms to build them and this equipment is all for sale. He’s even offered to deliver and set up with instruction, as well as hook you up with his contacts in China for hubs,tires, clutches, bearings ect. Trouble is,,, it would have to be a hobby because it would be very hard to make any money. Danny I’m sure you know what things cost, so how do you compete with China. I’m sure you also know how difficult it is to sell a decent mini bike bike for much more then $400 in this country. And then there’s liability insurance. If someone were to build SPROCKET minis it would definitely have to be a hobby. I love these bikes and would love to build them but I’m pretty busy restoring a few for my grandkids and myself. I’d gladly put you in contact with Lloyd if you’re interested.

Hi Danny, I’d love to see them built again. Lloyd still has all the tooling, jigs and forms to build them and this equipment is all for sale. He’s even offered to deliver and set up with instruction, as well as hook you up with his contacts in China for hubs,tires, clutches, bearings ect. Trouble is,,, it would have to be a hobby because it would be very hard to make any money. Danny I’m sure you know what things cost, so how do you compete with China. I’m sure you also know how difficult it is to sell a decent mini bike bike for much more then $400 in this country. And then there’s liability insurance. If someone were to build SPROCKET minis it would definitely have to be a hobby. I love these bikes and would love to build them but I’m pretty busy restoring a few for my grandkids and myself. I’d gladly put you in contact with Lloyd if you’re interested.
Yes, you are correct. I was building a prototype bike (with a little help from my daughter) when Lloyd contacted me through my mini bike Facebook page. I have been researching bikes of past and do like the build. There are some brake and other modifications needed on the Sprocket mini bike. Very hard to compete with the Chinese, but I had a different approach in mind. You can see our site on Facebook or our thrown together website AllAboutMiniBikes.com i wouldn't mind talking to you about other issues with the market..if you wouldn't mind.

Oldyellow

Hi Danny. I quit facebook about four months ago. I couldn’t believe how some people spoke to other people.I do miss the resource but won’t go there again. I’ll leave you some contact information on your website. I got pretty excited when Lloyd told me his tooling was for sale then spent some time figuring out how long it takes to build a bike and realized I couldn't make any money worth making. I’ve restored several Lil Indians, Ruttmans and Chargers as well as a couple canadian bike and know how much work it is. One other thing that really put me off and it was the straw that broke the ... the domain name SPROCKET was taken and the owner wanted $5000 for it. Sure you could call it something else but then it wouldnt be a SPROCKET anymore.
Is that you with Ray on your website?

Hi Danny. I quit facebook about four months ago. I couldn’t believe how some people spoke to other people.I do miss the resource but won’t go there again. I’ll leave you some contact information on your website. I got pretty excited when Lloyd told me his tooling was for sale then spent some time figuring out how long it takes to build a bike and realized I couldn't make any money worth making. I’ve restored several Lil Indians, Ruttmans and Chargers as well as a couple canadian bike and know how much work it is. One other thing that really put me off and it was the straw that broke the ... the domain name SPROCKET was taken and the owner wanted $5000 for it. Sure you could call it something else but then it wouldnt be a SPROCKET anymore.
Is that you with Ray on your website?
Yes, that is me. I like Ray and have had some great conversations with him. Yes, social media is especially bad right now but my mini bike page on it is great. I have a group page on there also that is also growing fast. I just stay from even looking at anything that is not on my mini bike page. I will look for your contact info and get a hold of you. Thank for the reply. Snapshot 1 (6-20-2018 3-16 PM).png