ruttman washer

joem

Some one has a really nice ruttman washer for sale on ebay right now...
Im sorry but i don't know how to post the link here
If your looking for one of these check it out,not bad price either.
OOPS was it okay to do this???

You wont build one any cheaper cuz I built it even without the wheels and tires this thing is painted with PPG paint all polished stainless steel hardware in Chrome it adds up really quick boys. If you dont agree you never built one this ask some of the build the build this quality of minibike like Glenn Bain, Joel Wey. Steven Gierer

MINI-MATIC

Hey Kyle,you butchered my last name lol!! I agree with you Kyle,unless you hookup with most of a bike from the start for a super cheap price and unless you can do most or all the work yourself,Costs do add up! :thumbsup:

Instead of putting a seat bracket back on...you put holes through the frame for a seat?:facepalm: The bracket is only 2 bucks. So either you are lazy..or cant weld. Either way...no good builder would do that. And ya..I have built more bikes than you can think of....All of quality and not short cuts like that. :hammer:

Doesn't look too pricey for what it is (at least at this point in the bidding at $500) though it isn't a steal either. As if any E-bay auction is.

Also, the through the frame seat bolts may be the original design. In talking to the guys at Allied Leisure, they say that they saw a lil indian or two that was like that from the factory. Lil Indian and Ruttman were closely enough associated with similar designs that Ruttman could have done the same thing.

I'm sure a person in the know will speak up, but IF that's the original configuration it would be a sin to weld a seat bracket on there.

joem

I'm ashamed at what i have spent to do a good restoration....
I think it's a fair price....
plus the fact that it's not raining ruttmans washers here in maryland....

Doesn't look too pricey for what it is (at least at this point in the bidding at $500) though it isn't a steal either. As if any E-bay auction is.

Also, the through the frame seat bolts may be the original design. In talking to the guys at Allied Leisure, they say that they saw a lil indian or two that was like that from the factory. Lil Indian and Ruttman were closely enough associated with similar designs that Ruttman could have done the same thing.

I'm sure a person in the know will speak up, but IF that's the original configuration it would be a sin to weld a seat bracket on there.
Seat bolts through the frame was never done on any Ruttman...EVER! People can't just keep re-writing history as they go. I have had every year Ruttman and every model made (minus the mystery trike)...and they all had seat brackets. And no..if I knew it was his I would't have commented. But the truth is the truth....:hammer: And those are nice bikes joem..and worth a pretty penny do to the quality.:thumbsup:

?

Not to jump into the fight. But! I have an original Grasshopper and it has through holes. So they did at least acknowledge that type of set-up. So to say all Ruttmans had the clamps would not be totally correct. :doah:

Dean, Can you chime in on this? You would have the final answer. Thanks

Not to jump into the fight. But! I have an original Grasshopper and it has through holes. So they did at least acknowledge that type of set-up. So to say all Ruttmans had the clamps would not be totally correct. :doah:

Dean, Can you chime in on this? You would have the final answer. Thanks
Fight??? Its simple...no seat holes in frame on any "standard" Ruttman frame (meaning not chopper). And no idea what you mean by "clamps":shrug:? And hate to break it to you..but Dean isnt the final answer. Anyone that even knows the basics about Ruttmans knows it. Again...you guys cannot keep trying to re-write history when it suits you or you incorrect bikes.

You go cheese.:thumbsup:
Well enough is enough. So many people are tired of the bull. And tired of people jacking up prices for over priced bikes. It doesn't matter if you put 10,000 bucks into a bike...if its only worth 250...that's it. And the fact it is at zero bids still...I must not be the only one that thinks it. We all have spent way too much to restore these things..and I for one don't ever expect to get my money back out of most of them. It's the nature of the beast and I don't really care if I do. Its a hobby..not a way of life. It's for fun..not for profit. :hammer:

Well enough is enough. So many people are tired of the bull. And tired of people jacking up prices for over priced bikes. It doesn't matter if you put 10,000 bucks into a bike...if its only worth 250...that's it. And the fact it is at zero bids still...I must not be the only one that thinks it. We all have spent way too much to restore these things..and I for one don't ever expect to get my money back out of most of them. It's the nature of the beast and I don't really care if I do. Its a hobby..not a way of life. It's for fun..not for profit. :hammer:
whe hobbies take all your time and money are they still just hobbies then? :confused:

IJG

Woah'

I think everyone will have their own opinions Mine is simple.
Hobby or not , If i put 600.00 dollars into my bike' & someone asks me what i want for it, i'll tell them what I did to cost the 666 I will ask for' Some Might be' like,, wow & no thanks , because their is very few folk buying their kids or themselves minbikes.
It's simple.
I would probably never sell my bikes for more than I put into it, unless the buyer has money to burn & or knows you're work on the bike firsthand, like a neighbor or buddy who saw it all get done.
The Ruttman is worth 500.00. (if Complete) & able to (safely) ride it. I suggest replacing the tires & rims for the sale .
It's missing fenders that's 80 bucks off the price tag 420!

Last edited:
Seat bolts through the frame was never done on any Ruttman...EVER! People can't just keep re-writing history as they go. I have had every year Ruttman and every model made (minus the mystery trike)...and they all had seat brackets. And no..if I knew it was his I would't have commented. But the truth is the truth....:hammer: And those are nice bikes joem..and worth a pretty penny do to the quality.:thumbsup:
Wow... How DARE I challenge your opinion!! Terribly sorry...except allow me to show you why I questioned it so you can set me straight.

First, I have no idea how long you've been into this hobby or how you've accumulated all your knowledge on the subject. If you are Troy Ruttman himself or so heavily associated with the original company that you really are the absolute authority, then fine. Otherwise, how can you claim to know how every one of these bikes left the assembly line? Most minibikes were such a basicly designed, poorly documented products, with mid-year changes, test variations, mismatched options, etc, that knowing every single variation is near impossible, even if you've owned one of every year/model that they made. Have you owned every single one made? Were you the QC guy there and examined every piece off the line?!?! I've spoken to the guys at Allied Leisure on this trend with Lil Indians and to this day, they still find genuine variations from Lil Indian that they haven't seen. That includes an early Lil Indian with seat holes through the frame, just like this.THEY OWN THE COMPANY AND THEY STILL DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. BETTER YET, THEY ARE WILLING TO ADMIT IT.

Secondly, I looked at the Ruttmans in the pics section and low and behold, look closely at the upper frame tubes on this lovely Ruttman Washer in there:

I do believe I see the chrome or zinc head of a bolt poking down from under the tube, or it sure looks like it. I thought they may be the same bike, but the grips are different. Its easier to see if you go to the full sized version. It's at least looks enough like it and both bikes look nice enough, that who knows? Maybe its just a common hack job done on these, but why do a nice resto everywhere else but hack the frame on the seat? Just seams odd to me.

I may be wrong, but I think its worth asking the question. Its kind of unfair to bash some guys auction and call it a hack job and go off on me as a "History Re-Writer for merely posing the question. This kind of stuff is why I meet guys that love mini's but won't join this site, because they don't want to deal with the bashing, or they get it right after they join.

The greatest fool is the man that believes he knows everything.

Last edited: