saving rusted chrome parts

oldfatguy

I have some pitted and rusted chrome fenders and a gas tank that I want to clean up and use.Are there any good tricks to polish up old chrome.I am having some luck with a buffing wheel but it will take forever to polish them like that.I heard that there ways to restore chrome,anyone have something that works?

I've heard using WD40 and steel wool, but I'm sure some of the guys on here have some better methods. Does a can of coke still work?

Chrome Plating is a process or should I say an application that is applied to the surface of the part in question. If your fenders are pitted from the rust eating through the chrome and into the steel you will have to remove all existing or remaining chrome and grind the metal underlayment smooth and then you can either polish the metal but to make it shine like chrome you'll need to have the piece/pieces rechromed.

1stlegendtx

Chrome Plating is a process or should I say an application that is applied to the surface of the part in question. If your fenders are pitted from the rust eating through the chrome and into the steel you will have to remove all existing or remaining chrome and grind the metal underlayment smooth and then you can either polish the metal but to make it shine like chrome you'll need to have the piece/pieces rechromed.
Whats your suggestion for removing the remaining chrome?:confused:

I'm not sure what the professionals use but you don't want to scratch up the metal surface to much.
I have used different grits of wet sand paper and a sanding wheel on an electric drill you can use a dremel for the small tight areas.

If it's pitted I've never had any luck, but for rust w/o actual pits. Glass/smooth top oven cleaner and a 3m pad works better then anything I've ever used. The glass top oven cleaner is like a super fine rubbing compound. Try it:thumbsup:

1stlegendtx

I am at a standstill on my Bonanza because of the fenders. There really rusty and pitted. I don't want to spend the money to have them re chromed.:thumbdown: I am chicken to try the acid deal because I don't want to make them worse.:doah:

I am at a standstill on my Bonanza because of the fenders. There really rusty and pitted. I don't want to spend the money to have them re chromed.:thumbdown: I am chicken to try the acid deal because I don't want to make them worse.:doah:
Check with scooterboy
He just had a couple of bonanza fender sets rechromed and they came out looking awesome.:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

someone told me to try navel jelly.{I know that's what I said too} but it is supposed to be for sale in an auto parts store .I'm going to try it and let you know if it works.So far I tried a polishing wheel and it will never take out all the pits but once shined up they will be usable.The bike isn't going to be a showpiece so I don't want to pay to re chrome the fenders and gas tank.I was able to straighten the bent fork struts,I used a hydraulic press to push them back straight again.

CLR and a stiff nylon brush will clean any rust off anything. Mix CLR with water about 10to 1 spray it let sit brush it spray some more brush it spray and brush it you'll see result continue until the rust is gone

I've done it lot, I would use steel wool it will scratch the chrome a nylon brush will not do any noticeable damage.