saw kickback vs thumb

Ouch!!!! I cut mine right down the center a couple years ago. It looked like a bloody banana cause the bone was separate from either sides. After they pulled the thumb nail out..it eventually grew back 6 months later. But you will be a sore @ss bear for awhile man.:doah:

Thanks for the warning lol

I run a cabinet shop and have had a few close calls

I tell the new guys to count threir fingers at the begining and end of their shift

buckeye

Well, quite the mess you have yourself in there Watson.:laugh:

If that is bone sticking out the end, it needs to be shortened. If not, it will be a pain in the thumb for ears to come.
Doesn't look like you got the nailbed or Matrix. Nail should grow back normally.
Shorten it up a bit, clean it real good and bring the meat part up over the end so there is a good cushion.
Antibiotics for at least 10-14 days, a fresh tetanus shot, if you haven't had one and some Norco, Percocet, or Vicodin for pain
Should be good to go in 6 weeks or so for complete healing.
Six months or so to toughen it up.
Did it happen at work? If so, they owe ya about 20 grand for partial loss of limb. Can't get those boogers way back in your nose like that.:laugh:

Let me know if ya have questions. Have fixed hundreds of these throughout the years.:thumbsup:

What kind of saw? I've seen a couple gnarly kick backs back in high school sending a few kids to the hospital. But that was on the table saw.

(1)If that is bone sticking out the end.........
(2)Doesn't look like you got the nailbed or Matrix.
(3)Antibiotics for at least 10-14 days.......tetanus shot.....
(4)Vicodin for pain
(5)Did it happen at work?.......
(1) that is nail i think.
(2) i didn't know we were IN THE MATRIX! i thought that was just a movie.
(3) getting them when she gets home and was given a shot to the hip at the ER.
(4) have that coming too. was given 2 already.
(5) no. at home.
it was a chop saw. was making a chair for my youngest out of a piece of vine.
Got a pic of the xray?
they are on a CD. i will try to get them off when my wife gets back.
i am going in to the Plastics tomorrow, i think. they will take care of it then. was just given a tetanus, pain med, X ray and washed it up today.
AND THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONCERN!

Last edited:

buckeye

Yep, pretty standard.
Sure there isn't bone exposed? With that much meat missing, the bone extends past your nail. So, unless it broke a piece of bone off, you have exposed bone.
Looks like you going to surgery in the next few days.

Yep, pretty standard.
Sure there isn't bone exposed? With that much meat missing, the bone extends past your nail. So, unless it broke a piece of bone off, you have exposed bone.
Looks like you going to surgery in the next few days.
i'm not sure of anything to be honest. thank you Tom.

Hope all turns out well for you!! Mind explaining how the kick back occured and how it could have been avoided? (did the material just need clamped down?) I dabble in wood working and try to be cautious but.........I had a tablesaw once throw the cut out piece as it binded between the fence and blade and it flew past my body and into the 1/2'' wood paneled wall in my old garage and it left one heck of an indentation!!!! Lucky no one else was in the room!!