SBH-9993 H50

markus

Also, the rod bearing that came with mine physically fit the rod, but clamped the crank tight. It had a weird black substance on it. If you run into the same issue, I have an ARC part number for a correct bearing...
Is that some sort of coating they were applying on them? there was an article many years back comparing the Tecumseh to the raptor when Tec was getting into the Kart racing, It predates our version engines but there was a statement in the article "Tecumseh claims to be developing a high-tech plasma coating for bearing surfaces for all future engines". Dunno if it actually got done or not. I haven't cut the sealed plastic heat shrinking off the bearings on the 9994 I recently bought yet, but they look to have the dark coating on the inside surface only from what I can see.

markus

That has to be it... it seemed hard as heck to make a mark in it.. just a light snug down on the rod cap on mine and it locked the crank down hard..

Man that coating looks rough, I guess you gotta hone it to the size you want or something. Last MS engine I had was used, and the bearings that were in it along with a spare set that came with were just the standard size that the briggs used no coating. Soon as I can get some room I wanna pull that engine out and get into it and see.

Off topic, is that a Horstman/Krizman spark arrestor I spy sitting there??? o_O Those are way cool, I have one in the cabinet collecting dust, someday I'll use it. IMG_2381.JPG

Man that coating looks rough, I guess you gotta hone it to the size you want or something. Last MS engine I had was used, and the bearings that were in it along with a spare set that came with were just the standard size that the briggs used no coating. Soon as I can get some room I wanna pull that engine out and get into it and see.

Off topic, is that a Horstman/Krizman spark arrestor I spy sitting there??? o_O Those are way cool, I have one in the cabinet collecting dust, someday I'll use it. View attachment 273414
LOL.. Yup, it is.. I have a muffler fetish...

markus

@Studeman68 An OHH motorsports engine I ordered rolled in the door while I was doing the block work on someone's HS40 I am rebuilding. The bearings (same bearings as whats used on the H50 size MS engine) were just in a box and not sealed and the coating was super thick and chipping off....Like really thick! That is a chunk of it in the calipers and piece of it at the tip of the screwdriver:

bearing coating.jpg

I use a flex hone to prep/cross hatch the rod, and block/sidecover bores so since the tools were out for the HS40 prep and I was dirty, I fitted them into the rod and ran the hone through with just a couple fast passes after chipping off the loose overcoating with no problems and still well within the specs in the book.

bearing prep.jpg

@Studeman68 An OHH motorsports engine I ordered rolled in the door while I was doing the block work on someone's HS40 I am rebuilding. The bearings (same bearings as whats used on the H50 size MS engine) were just in a box and not sealed and the coating was super thick and chipping off....Like really thick! That is a chunk of it in the calipers and piece of it at the tip of the screwdriver:

View attachment 280819

I use a flex hone to prep/cross hatch the rod, and block/sidecover bores so since the tools were out for the HS40 prep and I was dirty, I fitted them into the rod and ran the hone through with just a couple fast passes after chipping off the loose overcoating with no problems and still well within the specs in the book.

View attachment 280820
That's crazy. On mine I couldn't get the coating to come off, it was hard as heck. I ended up figuring out the correct bearing from ARC and went that route.
I still have those bearings, I may re-try removing that material :)

markus

That's crazy. On mine I couldn't get the coating to come off, it was hard as heck. I ended up figuring out the correct bearing from ARC and went that route.
I still have those bearings, I may re-try removing that material :)
I had send a message to Jeff Clements asking about that coating awhile back and if it was indented/safe to hone, but He had never responded. I figured screw it, just gonna try it and see what happens. This set unlike the set in my H50 MS was in a white box with the regular/generic CA1079 number and SKU/bar code (not Tecumseh) which was listed as made in Australia actually.

You all seem to have the knowledge on the H50 motorsports engines....could you tell me any specifics on one that is tagged SBH 9894 and sn 8119f thats for any info you might be able to supply.....