SCat cat help

So I picked up the scat last week and im tearing into it. Im not going for an exact restore, just a good looking rider. I need some advice on the forks. I took the handle bars off and the center neck bolt out, but how do I get that top plate thing off?? I dont want to damage it. Also how do I take the springs out of the forks?

I dont know if these wheels were original. But I have never dealt with these kind before. I cannot get them apart, any advice would be great.

Here are some pics.

Top plate is not removable.THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY SHOULD COME OFF SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE THE BOLT OUT.JUST KEEP WORKIN' IT SIDE TO SIDE WHILE MOVE IT FORWARD Take off the front wheel and then just unscrew the forks to remove the springs

Top plate is not removable.THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY SHOULD COME OFF SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE THE BOLT OUT.JUST KEEP WORKIN' IT SIDE TO SIDE WHILE MOVE IT FORWARD Take off the front wheel and then just unscrew the forks to remove the springs
Yea I got the whole assembly off, just looked like the top might come off or I needed to remove it for the forks, iono. First bike like this. Thanks man that help alot.

ANyone know about the rims? I soaked some spots with rust eater, that might help. :bowdown:

I forgot you had that blue Scat CAt in your stable......:shifty:

Could also tap on the front assembly forward with a deadblow hammer or a rubber mallet.spray some penetrating oil around the area where it pivets at the frame.been on there for 4o years just be patient it will come off

Anytime. Are you replacing the tires? If you are you could cut the old ones off and work on splitting the rims from the inside.

Got the forks apart. Question, what holds them in there, or are they just kinda floating and held in place by the springs? My springs are pretty well rusted to the bottom part, but some sandblasting and they might still be good.:thumbsup:

Also got the front wheel apart. Anyone know what kinda rims these are?? I really like em. Wish the back rim would come apart as easy, also they dont match:shrug:.
Yea yooper I was thinkin of trying to save the tires, but the back one is really dry rotten so its prolly no good. I should just cut it off and try prying apart from the center. They say Trails on them, mean anything? pics..

Hers the briggs that was on it. Tanks was full of rocks and dirt, like a handfull of rocks and sandy dirt:confused: Looks kinda good inside, only a lil rust, dont think it leaks either( havent tried yet tho). Ive never messed with a briggs this old, it looks alien to me. I dont even know where the throttle or butterfly is,lolol:doah: Might pay a shop to get it running again, has compression. plug is well rusted in tho( so cant check for spark yet).:drinkup: Pics...

it looks like you've figured it out perfectly!
on my SC76 the upper retainer threaded onto the upper fork. the lower legs were centered by a pair of nylon bushings. the nylon bushings also allow the suspension to "float" up and down in the upper tube.
i you need any other pics, just holler.

I just realized I prolly shouldve put this in the project logs..:doah:
Feel free mods to move this if you want.

Yea my forks slide on a nylon insert, I have no slop it slides smooth. Just seems weird the only thing keeping it from coming out is the weight of the bike and the springs clipped in place.:shrug:

still wanna know what kinda rims these are

I just realized I prolly shouldve put this in the project logs..:doah:
Feel free mods to move this if you want.

Yea my forks slide on a nylon insert, I have no slop it slides smooth. Just seems weird the only thing keeping it from coming out is the weight of the bike and the springs clipped in place.:shrug:

still wanna know what kinda rims these are
Those wheels are Gilson/Wards/Allis Chalmers.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=17599&title=gilson-21&cat=1147

Last edited:
Thank you SimpleTom!!:thumbsup: I wanna clean them up and clear coat em, do you guys think a wire wheel bit will scratch it up?

Anyone know what these wheels are?

would be tough to get in all the nooks and crannies with a wire brush...best bet is to knock the bearings out and glassbead them......then shoot some paint/clear on them :thumbsup:

I might just have to invest in some Evaporust. I dont have access to a media balster, nor the money for a shop to do it right now. But I have a few different sized wire wheels.:shrug:Would be hard to get in all them nooks. Dont wanna scratch the rims up either.

Those wheels look to be either cast aluminum or magnesium so I'm not sure how they could be "rusty" unless they're stained from the rusty sprocket/ axle/ bearings.... etc........:shrug: .....

In any case....Evaporust is great for removing rust....... but nothing else...won't touch grease or dirt or paint....in fact you will need to get the wheels clean of any grease and dirt before you soak them in Evaporust or it won't be effective

If those are alloy wheels I would look to see if there are any local media blasters by you...they would probably blast those wheels for you for $10-$20 and they would look like new.....

Last edited: