Scored a bonanza

kayde

I havent seen many of these around here but when this came up I jumped on it quick with out hesitation.

I'm thinking this one moves rite too the front of the project line.

Can anyone tell me exactly what my $60 bought me besides a bonanza made in san Jose.

Can the bike be dated by the headbage ?

Is that headlite bracket orginal?

Attachments

mustangfrank

I havent seen many of these around here but when this came up I jumped on it quick with out hesitation.

I'm thinking this one moves rite too the front of the project line.

Can anyone tell me exactly what my $60 bought me besides a bonanza made in san Jose.

Can the bike be dated by the headbage ?

Is that headlite bracket orginal?
Later model BC-1300, 1969, head badge # means nothing. Good score!

toomanytoys

looks like a nice project. Be a lot of work for a proper restoration. I'd probably do a resto mod on it awhile trying to make it look good as I can.

kayde

I figured it was a bc1300, but that's about it.

Wasn't sure on the headlite bracket since it looks like bicycle stuff but ya never know.

Crazy all those numbers stamped on the badge mean nothing.

I see pics of these bikes online with just about every engine on them.

Obviously the ghetto fabulous clone dont belong on it.
So besides the hodaka what engine actually belongs on these bikes.

It surely does need some work, there will be no restoration just fixed and cleaned up so it can be riden again.

I found the fender and throttle in the kids scrap pile both trashed but....

He claimed this Clinton was the original motor but he was so proud of the stacked clone he put on it.

Attachments

mustangfrank

I figured it was a bc1300, but that's about it.

Wasn't sure on the headlite bracket since it looks like bicycle stuff but ya never know.

Crazy all those numbers stamped on the badge mean nothing.

I see pics of these bikes online with just about every engine on them.

Obviously the ghetto fabulous clone dont belong on it.
So besides the hodaka what engine actually belongs on these bikes.

It surely does need some work, there will be no restoration just fixed and cleaned up so it can be riden again.

I found the fender and throttle in the kids scrap pile both trashed but....

He claimed this Clinton was the original motor but he was so proud of the stacked clone he put on it.
Would have had an HS40 but an HS50, H35 or H50 would look right at home for a rider. By '69 they added the BC1400 (H50) and the Hodaka bikes (BC1500) both had the separate handlebars.

If that bend/repair on your right handlebar is not fixable you might consider chopping the bars and going to the separate bars, I believe the factory drilled the holes for the mounts on the top fork plate already that year.

There are serval threads talking about the badges. A guy who use to work at Bonanza said they just got boxes of numbered badges and installed them. There is one early badge that had the lightning bolt. Very early bikes. Kidney bean wheels and center foot pegs is 69 and up I believe.

kayde

I read a few general bonanza threads but I was still unclear on determining the year of it.

Not to sure what to do about that handle bar yet.
It was bent, kinked and cracked with a big boog weld stuck on it.
Separate bars sounds like a easier solution than what I was thinking on doing.

So many engine choices, now I have some info i gotta make a plan for it.

kayde

What's the measurement of that tank? Looks like it could work great under the seat. I'd use an H50 if it were up to me.
Apparently that tank was mounted under the seat the kid showed me where he cut it off ,I'm guessing it's the orginal Clinton tank.

I dont know if any of you all do this but I need time too sit and stare at a project for awhile a few times before i come up with a plan for it.

Found out last nite the rear shocks have no spring to them like they are collapsed.
Forks are siezed too...all sounds like a fun challenge.

mustangfrank

Apparently that tank was mounted under the seat the kid showed me where he cut it off ,I'm guessing it's the orginal Clinton tank.

I dont know if any of you all do this but I need time too sit and stare at a project for awhile a few times before i come up with a plan for it.

Found out last nite the rear shocks have no spring to them like they are collapsed.
Forks are siezed too...all sounds like a fun challenge.
That would explain the bicycle tool kit wrench welded to the original tank bracket.

kayde

Hey all,,
cleaning up the brake 20220326_145510.jpg 20220326_145431.jpg 20220326_145431.jpg 20220326_145510.jpg 20220326_145431.jpg on this bonanza and found the weld on the anchor "bolt" in the brake plate broke free.

Before mr miller fixes it I gotta ask.

Is this really supposed to be just a regular grade 5 bolt?

Was the square nut added just help with the broke weld?

markus

Hey all,,
cleaning up the brake View attachment 288122 View attachment 288123 View attachment 288123 View attachment 288122 View attachment 288123 on this bonanza and found the weld on the anchor "bolt" in the brake plate broke free.

Before mr miller fixes it I gotta ask.

Is this really supposed to be just a regular grade 5 bolt?

Was the square nut added just help with the broke weld?
yes just that bolt, no the square nut is there to either hold it or space it off the frame/swingarm......which would be incorrect.