Scotchbrite Wheel for the Bench Grinder: Which One?

3M offers different "Scotchbrite" wheels to fit the bench grinder. Used one years ago. It was long-lasting and did a great a job contouring, edge smoothing, and de-scratching stainless steel in preparation for buffing and polishing. Don't know which one I used, they offer several types, but some wear quickly.

The wheels are pricey. Anyone use one on their bench grinder? I'm not stuck on 3M, any brand that works is OK.

Already use Scotchbrite "Roloc" disks in the die grinder. Wear out rapidly, but cheap and easily changed. Got 3 or 4 grits on hand.

Thanks for answers. Project is rounding and contouring waterjetted edges on hand-sized .040" stainless steel parts, also smooth the surface.

:thumbsup:

Jon

You probably had a Scotch Brite Light Deburring wheel with either a 6,7 or 8 density type 'S' Very popular wheel and very good one. For the tougher material such as 410 stainless you should bump up to a SST Deburring wheel it will last longer in a 5 density.
I used to sell hundreds of these a month and wish I had held onto all the samples I had at the time.

You probably had a Scotch Brite Light Deburring wheel with either a 6,7 or 8 density type 'S' Very popular wheel and very good one. For the tougher material such as 410 stainless you should bump up to a SST Deburring wheel it will last longer in a 5 density.
I used to sell hundreds of these a month and wish I had held onto all the samples I had at the time.
Thank you for that answer :thumbsup: The wheel I used had no legible info on it. This project is 303 and 304 stainless, so a type S sounds like the choice wheel to get.

Going to try Kevin's recommendation, too.

Thanks to an OldMiniBikes member

Thanks Kevin, got the wheel you mailed mounted it on a 3/4" shaft polisher motor using a 1" arbor bushing.

This is perfect on the edges of this .045" stainless. Smooths the cutting marks, makes ready for polishing.

Ordered a new full size one from McMaster Carr at the link you sent. Will be watching to fill a need the way you did, amigo.

Jon

IMG_0440.jpg