Anything Goes! Scratch built Harrison

Again, I am amazed at the crafstmanship, and ingenuity from folks on this site.

Pat...I learn so much on the site here reading and looking at y'all's examples and diagrams, but other than a few one off brackets, or metal framing or something, I have no experience in metal fabrication since high school shop class in 1974...so I don't know if this suggestion will hold water.

My thought is, if you cut the end of the tube at an angle, so there's less material on the short side, perhaps it will then crush in that direction. It may take crushing and bending in the same operation somehow to accomplish that clean bend. And may require extra length, and trimming on the end you are bending. Also, looking at your diagram of the results you get, I think the "short" side of the crushing die may need to be shaped differently as well ?

Let us know what you come up with, and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Again, I am amazed at the crafstmanship, and ingenuity from folks on this site.

Pat...I learn so much on the site here reading and looking at y'all's examples and diagrams, but other than a few one off brackets, or metal framing or something, I have no experience in metal fabrication since high school shop class in 1974...so I don't know if this suggestion will hold water.

My thought is, if you cut the end of the tube at an angle, so there's less material on the short side, perhaps it will then crush in that direction. It may take crushing and bending in the same operation somehow to accomplish that clean bend. And may require extra length, and trimming on the end you are bending. Also, looking at your diagram of the results you get, I think the "short" side of the crushing die may need to be shaped differently as well ?

Let us know what you come up with, and keep up the good work.
Thanks for the reply Robert. I actually figured it out earlier today. If I hold the tubing in place with clamps and a silly fixture I made, it actually crushes from one side only instead of splitting the difference.

Nice work on a problem child area. I was thinking, make a press die to suit and press at a location away from the tubing end by a foot or so. Then cut the miter to suit.
Good job,
Steve

Bent up the first half of the frame tonight. I took good notes so I can replicate for the opposite hand. I have to trim the top tube, but now I know how long I need the tube from the get go.
20190106_203649.jpg 20190106_203709.jpg 20190106_203719.jpg

markus

Doah!!! I read this post this morning but didn't go to page 2 where you got it :D Walked out to the garage and grabbed a piece of scrap and headed to the dark and scary corner of he shop where my press resides to see what would happen....I overshot the edge a little

Project is looking great!!!

Here is my next dilemma. I need to make the ends of each of my frame tubes look like the pics attached. I tried a few different ways on some scrap with no luck. I have another idea that I'll try tomorrow.

No matter how I crush the tube, it always wants to smash it in the middle and not to one side.

View attachment 238081 View attachment 238082 View attachment 238083

Doah!!! I read this post this morning but didn't go to page 2 where you got it :D Walked out to the garage and grabbed a piece of scrap and headed to the dark and scary corner of he shop where my press resides to see what would happen....I overshot the edge a little

Project is looking great!!!
Thank you!

It likely will never be ridden enough to be an issue, but I doubt those ball bearings are rated for end thrust. Tapered roller bearings are better at handling end thrust.

I like the way the ends of the forks are crushed.

It likely will never be ridden enough to be an issue, but I doubt those ball bearings are rated for end thrust. Tapered roller bearings are better at handling end thrust.

I like the way the ends of the forks are crushed.
I didn't take the original bearings out of the original bike, but this has to be pretty darn close to the original style bearing. I figured the two bearings would be sandwiched between the fork plates.