Anything Goes! Scratch built Harrison

Today I didn't have much progress, but I did manage to pick up some parts I've been excited to receive. I got a set of handle bars, a set of bar clamps, and a set of steel wheels with near new tires ( but they're not Goodyear tires).

I started making the brake retainer that hooks to the rear axle between the frame and brake backing plate. There's a bolt that also goes through the axle carriers then the brake retainer and threads through the backing plate to keep the brake from rotating.

20190120_172412.jpg

Next he's going to show us how he hand forged the handlebar clamps from the backyard BBQ!, Hahahaha. Great work and utilization of common tools. Why would anyone pay $3500 for a tube flattening press and dies is beyond me, your end results look just as good. One of these days I want to give it a go with a Ruttman frame.

Next he's going to show us how he hand forged the handlebar clamps from the backyard BBQ!, Hahahaha. Great work and utilization of common tools. Why would anyone pay $3500 for a tube flattening press and dies is beyond me, your end results look just as good. One of these days I want to give it a go with a Ruttman frame.
Thanks! I could have done a Ruttman, but the Harrison fits my fat butt better. :p

cfh

yes there is a relationship. in 1969 when the harrison was release, ruttman sued harrison over the wildcat design. the end result was that ruttman, starting about 1970, made the wildcat frame for harrison. you can tell the harrison made vs. ruttman made frames by how the two top tubes are cut where they meet the neck tube.

cfh

i should also add that the Ruttman packmule (and perhaps Judge?) were basically the same frame as the Harrison wildcat. differences included footpegs and neck bearing size. can't think of any other differences.... maybe the front end springer vs non-springer...

i should also add that the Ruttman packmule (and perhaps Judge?) were basically the same frame as the Harrison wildcat. differences included footpegs and neck bearing size. can't think of any other differences.... maybe the front end springer vs non-springer...
Harrison's also used 3/16" flat stock for engine plate and rear axle carriers where Ruttman had 1/8" plate. The size of engine plates were also different. Seat mounts were a lot smaller (thinner and narrower)on the Ruttmans too.

Handle bar shape was different and the way they mounted. fenders and fender mounts were different too. From afar they appeared very much the same, but when you break it down, the only things actually real close to being the same we're the frame tubes.

Last edited: