SE Woods mini bikes

Hi haven't been here for awhile, but I was cleaning out my shed the other day and long story short I started looking at cleaning up my mini and doing a sort of restoration. When I came back here I noticed 4 or 5 people have been asking questions about and starting to restore these bikes so I wondered if anyone had found any pictures of what they originally looked like? Mine was powdercoated yellow under the 35 coats of rattle can paint, didn't have the rear brake and no motor and from what I've seen from others posted, has different rear shocks, mine are a manufactured aluminum unit. So just wondering if anyone found pics, literature etc on these bikes as Google just keeps sending me back here. Any help would be appreciated

Lol
It's pretty funny when you think of it , that you and I may be the worlds leading authority on them just by owning one
It's good that so many of you guys are bringing back those Canadian-built bikes. As time goes on, all of this history would be lost without this effort. :thumbsup:

Plumbah25, do you have any pictures of your bike it would be good for reference
For things like wheel size , front/rear suspension , seat if it has one etc.

Thanks Dave , we are all trying to do our part

Great pictures looks like a fairly complete , restorable bike
It has the same double frame hoop as mine , same trailer style 8" wheels with band brake drums on rims
The front fork lowers are the same but the uppers look like they have been altered , can you tell if the bars have been cut off and if the spring cups are an add on

I have mine just about completed , put the new decals on tonite that Cory bikebudy printed for me , his work is awesome

Here is a picture of mine , before the decals

That looks real good Rob, I hope mine turns out half as good.

I think I cut the handle bars off myself as I mounted a set of bmx bars on it. But I made a heavier set of forks and welded the stock bars back on a little lower.

No idea about the spring cups, I've been scouring the Internet for any pictures of "all original" bikes but no luck yet.

I do notice some differences from yours though, mine didn't have the plate between the forks and it seems that my rear swing arm was flipped. I don't know if the guy put longer shocks on and that was his way of keeping the ride height the same. Did you add the eyelet to the front brake hanger?

Do you have any measurements and details on your rear brake pedal. I'm thinking of making one for mine as one never came with the bike.

And where are you ordering your parts from?

Cheers
Adam

These are the pictures of it as its sitting now

Like I said I made new forks as the originals were rusted to the point where I wouldn't trust them to not pretzel on me, I can't figure out why I didn't paint them. I also changed the stock tires to snow hogs because I was planning on riding it on some trails near me.

I also made a chain guard like the one you made out of some aluminum I had kicking around.

I made new pegs so that they folded back if the caught on something and welded them across the bottom to the down tube and motor mount, plus I thought they were a little more comfortable.

I think I have the shocks on the wrong hole.

This is the cracking I was talking about, I don't know wether it's the age of the metal, or weight of the new engine, but it cracked at the swing arm mount and there's a crack in the middle of the motor mount.
And here's a picture I found of the other bikes

I'm most likely going to hack it up and run two down tubes and weld them into the swing arm mounts and put a new engine mount on.

Last edited:
Sorry I tried editing the post about the other minis, somehow it ended up getting put in the middle of the post. No idea who made the one on the left, but the forks are home built. The red one in the middle was an Mtd from the 60s or 70s (it was my dads) and the one on the right is a copy of the one on the left we made in high school shop class

S E WOODS early model

Hello all: similar story, neighbor bought a S E Woods bike in the early '50's for his kids, then stored it in his barn for 20+ years; gave it to my daughter in the '80's, then we stored it until now. It runs good although temperamental. Needs some TLC. Looking for info about the company and anyone interested in purchasing. Have a vacation cottage in Ontario but spend winters in USA.

Attachments

Great pictures looks like a fairly complete , restorable bike
It has the same double frame hoop as mine , same trailer style 8" wheels with band brake drums on rims
The front fork lowers are the same but the uppers look like they have been altered , can you tell if the bars have been cut off and if the spring cups are an add on

I have mine just about completed , put the new decals on tonite that Cory bikebudy printed for me , his work is awesome

Here is a picture of mine , before the decals

Attachments