Sears All Terrain Roper mini bike brake system

Lizardking

I just picked up this bike and the previous owner Didn't know what it was. Thanks to @cfh for the ID on this mini bike. The bike obviously missing parts but I like how it looks even without the fenders. Anyone with pictures and info please chime in. If the brake system is not available then I'll go with an alternative. 20200902_125921.jpg 20200902_124429.jpg 20200902_124706.jpg

Last edited:

cfh

The sear roper all terrain has a disc brake, using the sprocket as the rotor. on my Sears Roper All Terrain, i abandoned this system. Instead went to a jackshaft mounted 5/8" clutch bell housing, with a standard band brake. It works a lot better and you can get parts. Also it doesn't makes your rear sprocket rust colored as the disc brake scratches the crap out of it!

Lizardking

The sear roper all terrain has a disc brake, using the sprocket as the rotor. on my Sears Roper All Terrain, i abandoned this system. Instead went to a jackshaft mounted 5/8" clutch bell housing, with a standard band brake. It works a lot better and you can get parts. Also it doesn't makes your rear sprocket rust colored as the disc brake scratches the crap out of it!
I see my sproket and it all makes sense now. Can you post a picture of your brake set up? I was thinking of the band brake on the clutch option.

Lizardking

Also of your kick stand please. Mine doesn't have it, just the shaft and not that it needs it but still want one on there. I didn't know the All Terrain was that big till I went to pick it up. Here it is next to my Mickey bike.
20200903_141713.jpg 20200902_125929.jpg

Last edited:

cfh

Kickstand is a bolt on type

This bike uses a series20 symmetric torque converter on the 5/8” jackshaft. So you can not use a clutch band brake.

I took a 5/8” centrifugal clutch, removed the inners, and welded it. Put this on the jackshaft (opposite side of the driven torque converter ) and used a standard band brake on this. Welded a small piece of tubing to the jack shaft plate to hold the band brake assembly

Lizardking

Kickstand is a bolt on type

This bike uses a series20 symmetric torque converter on the 5/8” jackshaft. So you can not use a clutch band brake.

I took a 5/8” centrifugal clutch, removed the inners, and welded it. Put this on the jackshaft (opposite side of the driven torque converter ) and used a standard band brake on this. Welded a small piece of tubing to the jack shaft plate to hold the band brake assembly
It has a sprocket on the jackshaft and just needs a clutch and chain. I will eventually upgrade to a torque converter but want to get it running. I don't want to weld on it if it's not necessary. I would have to use brackets to make the band brake on the jackshaft work for me.
20200903_142134.jpg 20200902_124529.jpg

cfh

when i first got mine it had a standard clutch. it sucked. like sucked really bad. you need the torque converter. also to add a band brake to the jackshaft you just need an old 5/8" clutch (or buy a new $15 china version on ebay.) take the guts out, and weld the clutch sprocket to the bell housing so they are a single unit (that is so the bell and sprocket spin together, not independently). Then on the right side jackshaft plate, weld a small piece of tubing (ID 5/16"). This will hold the band brake assembly. Use a standard band brake from any mini bike.

Lizardking

There was somebody on eBay parting one of these bikes out.
Not rare. I have seen at least 6 of these show up this year.
I did see some fenders and wheels on ebay. 6 is rare enough for me. In my search I only found maybe 6 different All Terrains. How many All Terrain owners on here? Anybody know?

Last edited:

Lizardking

when i first got mine it had a standard clutch. it sucked. like sucked really bad. you need the torque converter. also to add a band brake to the jackshaft you just need an old 5/8" clutch (or buy a new $15 china version on ebay.) take the guts out, and weld the clutch sprocket to the bell housing so they are a single unit (that is so the bell and sprocket spin together, not independently). Then on the right side jackshaft plate, weld a small piece of tubing (ID 5/16"). This will hold the band brake assembly. Use a standard band brake from any mini bike.
I've been looking at 5/8 disc brake rotor with a hydraulic caliper and use the existing bolts to hold the caliper. Did you look into disc before going band with your set up? It looks like it will work to me, anyone with more experience on the brake systems please chime in. 20200903_135737.jpg

cfh

You could probably do a disc brake on the jackshaft. But it's way easier (in my mind) to use a 5/8" bore standard (welded) clutch and a standard band brake. Also probably a lot cheaper/easier to implement.

Lizardking

Y
I just completely parted one out in July , the only missing part was of course the clutch/tav cover , lol .
Your bike was one of about 6 I found in my search for info. Not much out there and most of the info is here on OldMiniBikes. What years where they made and what's the shaft at the bottom of the engine plate for?

Y
Your bike was one of about 6 I found in my search for info. Not much out there and most of the info is here on OldMiniBikes. What years where they made and what's the shaft at the bottom of the engine plate for?
The shaft is the pivot point axle, the engine plate and swingarm are all one piece , same as a regular Roper

Lizardking

The shaft is the pivot point axle, the engine plate and swingarm are all one piece , same as a regular Roper
Good info! If I understand correctly the All Terrain Roper was made in 1971 and 72. The clutch cover from the regular Roper fits the fat tire Roper. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.