Sears H35 Facebook find

I just acquired this decent piece off Facebook market place. Seems to have good compression. Haven’t had a chance to check it out any further. The add said it was a 5 hp and I drove 89 miles to get it but still too good of a deal to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have an HS40 that I plan on using if I can ever get myself in gear but jumped at the chance to get what I thought was going to be a 5hp. I’ll just probably flip it now.

How can I tell if this is a ball bearing engine? The parts diagram show bearing and bushing but only one part # for the cover itself.

delray

here is a bearing cover I modified it for a standard crank. you can see the oil seal area in the cover is little bigger..:thumbsup:

markus

Mini bike repair book I have shows as it being on the 80712 model bike. Not sure what that bike was offhand though. But its definitely a true recreational specific model, not just pieced together engine from an edger, etc. :thumbsup:

Kinda neat thing with the Sears branded engines from back then, If sears parts direct still has the engine number loaded up into the system the parts breakdowns they have are specific to that model, not the generic parts explosion you see if using Tecumseh numbers, plus alot of time they still show the old original part numbers for certain things, even if they are NLA. Makes them a little less confusing. Things like parts for the throttle controls, muffler pieces, etc.. Were Tecumseh online parts breakdowns (even in the books when they updated/revised for that matter) will just give an updated number or simply not have the part listed at all. Its helpful for finding part numbers that are good to know when you are looking at old stock coming out of old shop etc..

Very nice score ! Oval shaped AF , exhaust and throttle looks great ! [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] is it a 1970 model ?

markus

Very nice score ! Oval shaped AF , exhaust and throttle looks great ! [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] is it a 1970 model ?
Yes 1970. One of the new/used/old stock parts vendors on ebay had some NOS crapsman information decals awhile back for those, I dunno if they sold out or not though. I used one on the sears bike I resold year or so ago, as this time when I refreshed it I tried to bring the engine back to as close as I could to how it would have been rather than the custom parts I had put on it 6 year previous. I got lucky and had a Donor engine in the same color for the missing recoil and was able to retain the OG paint even doing a full internal rebuild including some port work, hone, fitted rings, etc.. :thumbsup: Decal was a big improvement over the ripped/worn one that was on it.

Before (can see it down there on the plate)

I like assembly lube :laugh:

after :thumbsup:

delray

I didn't until you mentioned it . Could you measure the length of the pto shaft ? [MENTION=55721]Brainiac[/MENTION]
wow that one picture shot makes it look long. kind of deceiving...:doah: looks like it measures the standard length.

[MENTION=55721]Brainiac[/MENTION] , thanks for measuring ! :thumbsup: Oh and yes I thought it would be a 5/8'' shaft ...that might be why the length is deceiving to the eye. :laugh:

Did a little playing around with the H35 over the weekend. Got it running but not consistently. Carb needs a little more TLC but in the process of replacing the fuel line I verified that it does have the mini bike correct aluminum fly wheel.