sears puddle jumper question

Hi all, new to the forum, and I hope someone out there can help me out, I recently picked up an old Sears and Roebuck puddle jumper for my oldest son and am working on returning it to operational. We have fit it with a Honda GX160 (it came with a nice HS 40 Tecumseh but the carb had no intentions of functioning again) and the original torque convertor setup however I need to know what I should order for a belt (it was missing when we got it.) If it helps at all it's a model 391.80790 and the date code is 1264X . From the engine numbers HS40-55515G ser. 8299B I think it may be a 1978 model. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

hello from cape cod. I got an early 80's puddle jumper. do you have a pic of yours? what do you need to know? Mine came with an Hs40 too. Since then I have replaced it with a clone 6.5 from HF. let me know and Welcome to the maddness....:laugh:

Last edited:
Hi, I guess you could call it a return to madness, I had a mini bike when I was a kid I get to build one for my kid. I just uploaded a pic of our puddle jumper to the "Sears" photo archive on here, I just need to know what size belt to order for the torque convertor. Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome, the Sears parts direct site lists the belt as a part# 200393 and describes it as a 7" belt, I am not familiar enough with torque convertor systems to know what else if anything I need to know. I now have a second complication, I picked up a Tecumseh diaphragm carb at a local scrap yard , a quicky clean up and now the HS40 runs too. I am stuck with the choice of Honda engine or Tecumseh, or else I need to find another mini to put the second engine on :thumbsup: Suggestions anyone?

That's a fact, I am trying to decide if I should part with my 3 wheeled Harley Davidson/AMF golf cart, it did not get ridden at all this year due to all the other toys around here!

korndog

Nice bike. I have one too. It's technically not a puddle Jumper. There is no known name for this bike, but it seems to have been called "Orange Crush" more than any other name. George3 or Mac might be able to help you figure out the belt. Here is a site that has replacements listed. I believe that bike was made by Manco and there is a specific belt listed for Manco here. Good luck.

20 Series Belts

I'm revivving this old thread and possible other Puddle Jumper threads.
I'm restoring one for the build off and have questions.

Does anyone has a picture of the "Puddle Jumper" decal or logo?
I would also like to know where it was placed on the bike.
What was on the front plate on the triple tree? It has two holes in it for mounting something.
Does anyone have a stock seat? I don't need a perfect one as I can get a new cover made for it. The seat I have is home made and not correct.

There are two pics in this thread above. The gas tanks are mounted differently in both pics. Which pic is correct?

Thanks
Danford1

Last edited:
There are two pics in this thread above. The gas tanks are mounted differently in both pics. Which pic is correct?

Thanks
Danford1
Dan it sure fits better on the orange bike than it does on the red bike. Maybe its camera angle maybe its the right way... :shrug:

Doug