Sears Roper 2-speed jackshaft- A little help?

I am looking for some guidance and advice from the Sears Roper "Gurus" out there (especially "jimh" and "markus")...
I have searched and read every previous thread and photo ever posted about these on this forum and I believe that I have a complete 2 speed assembly, with all of the components installed in the correct order (see photo). For visibility, the assembly is placed upside down so that you can see the various components, and the view you have would be that when standing in front of the bike, looking toward the rear. Please note that this unit also has the jackshaft "band brake". We plan on installing this on the Sears Roper project bike we're working on.

Overall, it appears to be in reasonably good condition, with nothing obviously broken, and everything turns freely (i.e., not seized), however I have not dismantled anything (yet?). There is some light rust on the driveshaft, and some rust visible on the jackshaft clutch shoes and springs. Even though the jackshaft bearings turn freely, I still plan on replacing them due to their age and as good insurance. I would like to clean everything up real good and perform any other maintenance as needed.

My questions:
1. How best to remove the rust? Can the ENTIRE assembly (including the clutch) be soaked in a solution of "Evaporust"? (I have concerns about soaking the clutch).
2.If the clutch cannot be soaked, what is the best way to clean/remove rust?
3. Is the large gear also a type of clutch? Does that have internal parts that must be lubricated/greased? (If so, I would assume that it should NOT be soaked in rust cleaner?)
4. The band brake is in "okay" condition, but could use a relining- where can I get the lining material for that?
5.Any other items to be checked or serviced?
Thank you all for any help!
Michael

[/IMG]

Mac

It appears you can get the brake bands from Allied Leisure.
Take a look at ebay item number: 290583884639
( I hope that lining's not rubber)

Mac- Thank you, that appears to be the exact one.:thumbsup:
Yellowhand- Thank you for the information.:thumbsup: In that case I do not think it should be soaked in anything.

kbs8ball

Id take it apart piece by piece...wire wheel the rust...lube it up and reassemble it just like yellowhand did, and it all fits on one blue shop towel. Put some blaster on all the set screws first and let it sit for a bit.

Thanks Kenny!:thumbsup:
I believe that is exactly what I will do. Something just didn't seem right about soaking a clutch in ANY type of solvent!:eek:ut:

Thanks Kenny!:thumbsup:
I believe that is exactly what I will do. Something just didn't seem right about soaking a clutch in ANY type of solvent!:eek:ut:
Many clutch and brake shoes are made of sintered metal, a powdered metal material that is heated and compressed to form the pads or the shoe itself...sintered metal is porous and will absorb and retain solvents, causing the material to break down, so you're safer cleaning them without solvents.