Sears roper restoration

mustangfrank

After trying to figure out what carb and throttle control assembly i need it appears there are different size 8hp tecumseh. I'm not sure what year 80,90,00,10 it is, I'm sure someone can tell by the look of it. The HM80's should fit View attachment 279596
1980, points engine. You can ditch that grounding strap by the spark plug if you wire in a kill switch, looks like that's the only thing that could touch the frame.

Also it already has a mostly complete recreational throttle assy on it, research it and try to save it, those are desirable and surprisingly pricey to buy.

I like it, keep us posted.

Triley41395

1980, points engine. You can ditch that grounding strap by the spark plug if you wire in a kill switch, looks like that's the only thing that could touch the frame.

Also it already has a mostly complete recreational throttle assy on it, research it and try to save it, those are desirable and surprisingly pricey to buy.

I like it, keep us posted.
Thats good to know about the throttle assembly because I don't know jack about small engines. I was thinking about buying a new bolt on assembly and now I may not have to. I appreciate any and all help as I said I'm jumping in for the first time.

Got a few things sandblasted. Beautiful tank,no dents for 50 years old,I'm pretty happy. The rear fender has a small tear at the bolt hole, I'm going to try to bang it out and weld it. Hopefully I'll get the rest disassembled this weekend and get the frame to a professional for blasting. I don't have a sandblaster big enough for the frame.
I have a 110lb. pressure blaster and a 50lb. portable blaster from Harbor Freight. I use play sand from Home Depot and it works great. you have to screen the sand a couple more times to get the pebbles out but at $3.50 a bag, you can't beat it. I use a window screen and two 5gal. buckets to screen the sand and I can usually get one frame done with one 50lb. bag. The only down side is you do need an air compressor that can keep up, I have a 5hp vertical compressor and it gets a workout running the portable blaster at 85psi. I've tried a lower pressure just so the compressor wasn't running as much but it ran about the same amount and took twice as long to do a frame. It usually takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to do a frame and forks. I use it outside without any sort of recovery system, at $3.50 a bag I don't really give it much thought. When I first started doing the frames like this I thought I would need to wear all sorts of stuff like cover-alls and what have you but I just use one of those blasting hoods, some tough gloves and make sure my pants cover my shoes, it seems that my shoes are always getting filled up with sand even though I'm not blasting directly at them. Here's a shot of the portable blaster I use and a shot of a frame I did with it.

1624255233250.png
1624255259221.png

mustangfrank

I have a 110lb. pressure blaster and a 50lb. portable blaster from Harbor Freight. I use play sand from Home Depot and it works great. you have to screen the sand a couple more times to get the pebbles out but at $3.50 a bag, you can't beat it. I use a window screen and two 5gal. buckets to screen the sand and I can usually get one frame done with one 50lb. bag. The only down side is you do need an air compressor that can keep up, I have a 5hp vertical compressor and it gets a workout running the portable blaster at 85psi. I've tried a lower pressure just so the compressor wasn't running as much but it ran about the same amount and took twice as long to do a frame. It usually takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to do a frame and forks. I use it outside without any sort of recovery system, at $3.50 a bag I don't really give it much thought. When I first started doing the frames like this I thought I would need to wear all sorts of stuff like cover-alls and what have you but I just use one of those blasting hoods, some tough gloves and make sure my pants cover my shoes, it seems that my shoes are always getting filled up with sand even though I'm not blasting directly at them. Here's a shot of the portable blaster I use and a shot of a frame I did with it.

View attachment 279639
View attachment 279640
I used to use screened sand too in my pressure pot because I didn't want other media getting in my yard, luckily I have access to a large cabinet now. I'll be Mother Hen here...WEAR A RESPIRATOR if you do this, silicosis is scary, uncurable shit!

Last edited:

Triley41395

View attachment 279639
View attachment 279640
I've decided to not sandblast the frame. I can have it powered coated for around 125.00 so time and equipment would cost more, plus it's very durable.

Triley41395

Just a small update. Frame still has not been powder coated yet but I started on the tank and fenders. Right or wrong I decided not to have the fender welded, I'll just put a washer on the bottom. I'm going with blue and silver for the paint. I'll do the front plate after the frame is done. I'm still undecided on the frame color. Maybe blue, Maybe silver,even white I think would look good. 20210627_083949.jpg 20210627_084051.jpg 20210627_084023.jpg

markus

regarding the cracked fenders On the Chrome edition Roper I had that was one of the problems with it. It cleaned up really nice overall so in order to save as best I could I used some stainless finishing washers and hardware after hammer and dolly work to get them back in to shape. Not OG by any means but a pretty clean look and covered and secured the damaged fenders well.

Triley41395

regarding the cracked fenders On the Chrome edition Roper I had that was one of the problems with it. It cleaned up really nice overall so in order to save as best I could I used some stainless finishing washers and hardware after hammer and dolly work to get them back in to shape. Not OG by any means but a pretty clean look and covered and secured the damaged fenders well.

That looks really good. Looks clean ,I think I will try that myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Triley41395

Is there a difference in tires. What I'm wanting to know is if there is a specific type to get, not brand but type. Are tires marked like this what I should find or try to find. 20210627_104918.jpg

mustangfrank

Is there a difference in tires. What I'm wanting to know is if there is a specific type to get, not brand but type. Are tires marked like this what I should find or try to find. View attachment 279850
Is there a difference in tires. What I'm wanting to know is if there is a specific type to get, not brand but type. Are tires marked like this what I should find or try to find. View attachment 279850
If you're building a rider I wouldn't spend the money on a set of Indian head Carlisles, especially if those are the square-ish turf tread type. You're probably stuck with stock size 4.10/3.50-6 tires because of the fender positions but any of the shops have a few choices.

Triley41395

If you're building a rider I wouldn't spend the money on a set of Indian head Carlisles, especially if those are the square-ish turf tread type. You're probably stuck with stock size 4.10/3.50-6 tires because of the fender positions but any of the shops have a few choices.
Right now it has 2 different size/styles of tires, I'm guessing that they are the same size, just marked differently Screenshot_20210627-150454_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210627-150546_Gallery.jpg

Triley41395

Made some more progress. I love it. I'm going to let it cure for a couple weeks, wet sand and use a can of the spray max 2k. Hard to see the heavy flake in the picture but it pops nicely. Had a hard time with the tank because I painted it backwards. I should have done the blue first then the silver. I'm going to buy a set of the pinstripe decals off ebay and a roper badge sticker for the front, should look pretty cool. I did tape off a section of the original color so anyone in the future can tell what it is supposed to be. 20210627_145658.jpg 20210627_145354.jpg 20210627_173132.jpg

Triley41395

What brand paint ? Rattle can or shot from a gun?
Shakie, Shakie, its rattle can, rustolium. Three coats of primer, two coats silver, three coats of cobalt blue metallic, two coats of royal blue glitter and three coats of clear. A heck of a lot of work but looks fantastic too me. Not sure how durable it will be, so I'm planning on putting on a final coat or 3 of quality clear. 20210627_191627.jpg

Triley41395

Made a little more progress. Actually have the motor shroud/fly wheel cover blasted but forgot to bring it home from work. Although I don't know much about small engines I'm going to start taking it down this weekend. Needs a carburetor and muffler but I'm not sure what style I want to use yet. I did decide that I'm making the frame silver and the engine white. Just from the time I have in this project so far, other than the paint I would think this whole thing could be done in a day Not that I'm going to do it in that time but seems very possible if a person knew what they were doing. Frame goes for powder coating on Wednesday, so I'm hoping to have a runner in approximately two to three weeks. 20210703_055136.jpg