Sears roper restoration

Triley41395

Done a little cooking for the fourth of July. First I would suggest doing this outside if possible. Don't know if anyone does this or not but if you boil painted parts for a few hours it loosens the paint so that sand blasting is much easier. You can see the bubbled paint. Old paint does have lead in it so be careful. So far tire removal has been my least favorite part of this. Hopefully I can get new tires installed without scratching up freshly painted rims. I might have to use a shop for tires. 20210704_205848.jpg 20210704_205940.jpg 20210705_074420.jpg

Triley41395

Well I'm changing mid-build. I picked up a tiller today with a nice 6 horse, I was wanting a white motor for the bike but I think black will look fine and no work required. I'm not even going to paint it. I think it is a 72 20210711_183205.jpg 20210711_183053.jpg

mustangfrank

Now that I look a little better Maybe it's an 82.
The tiller looks old but maybe the engine is not original
Now that I look a little better Maybe it's an 82.
The tiller looks old but maybe the engine is not original
That version Tecumseh sticker on the shroud, if original, would indicate 1982.

Good luck not scratching or chipping one piece painted rims getting tires on. A tire shop is going to care less than you do and there aren't high end tire machines for small wheels.
I powder coat now but my first two tries with painted wheels was a debacle, I ended up re-sanding out all the chips and re-painting with the tires mounted but deflated. Not trying to be a downer just sayin'.

Triley41395

That version Tecumseh sticker on the shroud, if original, would indicate 1982.

Good luck not scratching or chipping one piece painted rims getting tires on. A tire shop is going to care less than you do and there aren't high end tire machines for small wheels.
I powder coat now but my first two tries with painted wheels was a debacle, I ended up re-sanding out all the chips and re-painting with the tires mounted but deflated. Not trying to be a downer just sayin'.
I think I'll go with powder coating next time also. Since I have not painted them yet only primed I'll use some of your experience and go ahead and mount the tires and then paint. I'm learning as I go. Hey thanks again for the tip.

toomanytoys

Extended cam for reverse I believe. I used one like that I just started the engine and used a hack saw to cut the Extended shaft off. Worked just fine and you couldn't see it under the cover!

Triley41395

Well you just made my ev
Are you sure? Looks like it's just on an external bracket, more like a belt tensioner, extra PTO comes out higher (end of camshaft).
Well you just made my evening a whole lot better. It is just a bracket. I told you I don't know anything about these small motors but I'm a learning. Thank all you guys again for the help and input . 20210714_201427.jpg

Triley41395

One step closer, maybe the motor this weekend. Did I mention that I hate tires. Cleaned the rims primed painted the insides and still they would not hold air for more than a hour. So I bought tubes, front one went fine but I pinched a hole in the back so now I have to patch it or get a different tube. I've had fun doing this bike but did I mention I hate tires. Do you guys n gals have trouble with tires or is it me that needs practice. 20210813_202427.jpg

Triley41395

Went to take the tank and bracket off and busted off a head bolt. So knowing that I would have to fix that I went ahead and took out the rest of the bolts and broke 2 more. No luck. They should be fixed this week sometime . 20210814_190908.jpg