Sears Two Speed

Thanks for the encouraging words.

We got to get the front forks welded back together so the tire stays square between the forks.

In the meantime we have some work to do on the engine.

(I'm the older son) I welded it back together 270° on the support bar, and tacked the fender bracket back together. All of the auto 2 kids watched as we pushed each other around the parking lot and made engine noises. should hold up well eneough

Last edited:
Doing some more work on the little Bird. I bought new Astro wheels and some CST tires. We also straightened the forks again (neighbor kid ran into the fence) and replaced the front springs with longer 4" ones.

I bought the more rounded CST tire thinking it would make it more stable. I thought the squared off tires caused this old Sears / Bird mini to be squirrelly and darty. Turn out it is more squirrly now.

How do I stabilize the handing of this bike?

Some thoughts:

- Extend the rear axle with plates

- Center the rear tire that is offset for the scrub brake.

- Put a slick on the back (opposite of my round tire theory)

- buy a new front fork with better geometry (perhaps one like my Arctic Cat)

- Other ideas?

Trim those front springs down a bit might help but the way it looks the trail on that thing looks to be set up like a dirt bike. Makes it great for fast steering (or squirrelly). Not sure just swapping forks will work (somebody more experienced will chime in) but I would thing the steering needs to be cut off the frame and welded on at a better angle.

I took some measurements against the Arctic Cat. The rake is within a few degrees, the Bird actually has more rake.

The wheelbase of the Bird is 1 1/2" longer which was a surprise, so extending the wheel base is out.

I don't know how to measure trail...

The only other thing I can see is the swept back handlebars. I suppose the tighter circle they form when turned mean that small inputs equal large change in tire direction.

Other thoughts?

Some more pics...