Sears

This Is my first post as a new member. I hope I’m in the right section.

I was cleaning out an old storage building at my parents and found my Sears minibike that I got for Christmas (not sure of the year, maybe 1969?). I think it’s a Drover. I would like to research restoring it and would appreciate any information or advice. I would like to start with a manual, if those are available somewhere, so that I can look for missing parts. I could not find the engine, still looking. I believe it was either a 3 or 3.5 Craftsman/Tecumseh?

Thanks!
Tony

5E0FD3B2-2060-45D6-BD34-B504D4F6C9DA.jpeg

capguncowboy

I never learned all the ins and outs for the Bird made bikes, but that looks like a Bird Duck or Sears Drover (both made by Bird). I doubt there's much in the way of a manual, but there are a lot of Sears Ads available. Not sure what year this one is from, but your bike would be equivalent to the top right if it's a Sears.

Minidoodle has a lot of ads on their site http://jleibovitch.tripod.com/id196.htm

rugblaster

Sorry the photo is sideways.....maybe someone can fix it. This Sears Drover I just got running, Original paint and motor. I made a seat, overhauled the original Tecumseh H35 motor (easy to do) I did have to make a gas tank for the time being.....going to try to repair the original one. Yours looks pretty complete to me, except the engine. I'm looking for a chain guard. Be sure to put a 10 tooth clutch one whatever motor you may find. The motor needs to have a 5/8ths inch crank to use a 10 tooth clutch, if your rear sprocket has 60 toophees. I bought everything I needed for the bike from OldMiniBikes warehouse, chain, grips, bearings, clutch, kill button, fuel line and filter etc. For the motor, I had to buy everything separately on ebay, piston rings, crank seals, gaskets, carb etc.
IMG_5752 (1).JPG

Last edited:

1971_MB1A

This Is my first post as a new member. I hope I’m in the right section.

I was cleaning out an old storage building at my parents and found my Sears minibike that I got for Christmas (not sure of the year, maybe 1969?). I think it’s a Drover. I would like to research restoring it and would appreciate any information or advice. I would like to start with a manual, if those are available somewhere, so that I can look for missing parts. I could not find the engine, still looking. I believe it was either a 3 or 3.5 Craftsman/Tecumseh?

Thanks!
Tony

View attachment 260324

1971_MB1A

Probably originally would of been a 3.5 hp Tecumseh. If you don't find the original engine I can pm you the numbers from one of my original engines so you know what to be in search of.