Seat Upholsterer

Can anyone recommend a good upholstery shop that YOU HAVE USED in the past that could redo my seat. The shops around my area are either not good or not trustworthy or both.
I'm hoping to keep the bike as original looking as possible.
The existing one from 1968 has rips and holes pretty much on all sides and the vinyl is brittle.
It doesn't need to be in NC. I can ship the seat to the shop. Just want someone good and dependable.
Thanks for any input.
-Doug-

Attachments

colt 1911

Can anyone recommend a good upholstery shop that YOU HAVE USED in the past that could redo my seat. The shops around my area are either not good or not trustworthy or both.
The existing one from 1968 has rips and holes pretty much on all sides and the vinyl is brittle.
It doesn't need to be in NC. I can ship the seat to the shop. Just want someone good and dependable.
Thanks for any input.
-Doug-
Custom Motorcycle Seats Done Right | New Image Custom Seats | (newimageseats.com)

Thanks for any input.
-Doug-
The vinyl can be rejuvenated if you're interested in that. Baby oil or vinyl/leather conditioner work great. Just let it soak in for days or even weeks and should become plush again.

The vinyl can be rejuvenated if you're interested in that. Baby oil or vinyl/leather conditioner work great. Just let it soak in for days or even weeks and should become plush again.
Thanks for that info, but there are too much rips and holes in the seat cover unfortunately.

I was wondering what you were going to do with the seat back when you first posted the bike. My opinion…whomever you select to make a new seat use the original as a template to make an exact copy and then put the original one back together the way it was. Even with the rips and tears, I still like the fact that the seat is original and would want to hang onto it.

I was wondering what you were going to do with the seat back when you first posted the bike. My opinion…whomever you select to make a new seat use the original as a template to make an exact copy and then put the original one back together the way it was. Even with the rips and tears, I still like the fact that the seat is original and would want to hang onto it.
Well, I contacted the two recommended above but received to answers. I ended up finding a guy in Alabama that custom makes them and sells them on eBay. I bought one from him in my colors red & black. It's the same size as mine 16 x7.
I am having him do the stitching on the top seat part like shown in the link below.
I will definitely keep my original. I can put that one back together myself.

In member "Manchester's" defense, I learned later that she does a yearly show and was out of town. I was really hoping to have her make my new seat cover.

Thanks for asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2555893952...v5fephQZm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Well, I contacted the two recommended above but received to answers. I ended up finding a guy in Calif that custom makes them and sells them on eBay. I bought one from him in my colors red & black. It's the same size as mine 16 x7.
I am having him do the stitching on the top seat part like shown in the link below.
I will definitely keep my original. I can put that one back together myself.

In member "Manchester's" defense, I learned later that she does a yearly show and was out of town. I was really hoping to have her make my new seat cover.

Thanks for asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2555893952...v5fephQZm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
how did you contact him? I’d like to see if he could do a custom seat for my Coleman. Needs more foam and I’d like a better look. He makes some like I’d want but they are the wrong size

how did you contact him? I’d like to see if he could do a custom seat for my Coleman. Needs more foam and I’d like a better look. He makes some like I’d want but they are the wrong size
If you have an eBay acct you can click on the link I posted. It will take you to that seat for sale. Scroll down to where you see "contact seller". You can send him a message. He does other styles, sizes, and colors.

toomanytoys

If you have an eBay acct you can click on the link I posted. It will take you to that seat for sale. Scroll down to where you see "contact seller". You can send him a message. He does other styles, sizes, and colors.
I looked I couldn’t find it on the all. I’ll haven look it up on the pc when I get a chance

Could you elaborate on this please? I've tried baby oil and many leather and vinyl conditioners on old seats with no luck, just a slimy crunchy mess. If you have a specific product you have used with good success I'd love to hear about it.
From what I've been able to gather when vinyl gets old and dried out there is no way to make it supple again, as it's part of the manufacturing process.

Could you elaborate on this please? I've tried baby oil and many leather and vinyl conditioners on old seats with no luck, just a slimy crunchy mess. If you have a specific product you have used with good success I'd love to hear about it.
From what I've been able to gather when vinyl gets old and dried out there is no way to make it supple again, as it's part of the manufacturing process.
ya depends on how far gone the vinyl is for sure. But I've used basic Johnsons baby oil or off the shelf leather/vinyl conditioner from auto parts stores. just apply which ever one to the seat and leave, don't wipe it off for a few days or even a week. You can also do this a few times.

ya depends on how far gone the vinyl is for sure. But I've used basic Johnsons baby oil or off the shelf leather/vinyl conditioner from auto parts stores. just apply which ever one to the seat and leave, don't wipe it off for a few days or even a week. You can also do this a few times.
I had an old Cutlass seat that the vinyl was perfect on it, no cracks but rock hard. I experimented in different sections with all of the aforementioned products, and even let it soak for months with no real progress. Most of the other forums basically said the same thing, if it's brittle it's too late. Now, I've brought back plenty of old leather on the other hand but that's a whole different conversation.

Randy (jkinteriorbiz11) is the real deal and does a nice seat at an affordable price.
Michael
I'm happy to hear that. He has some great looking seats on Ebay. I'm glad Randy let's you pick your colors, size, etc. I didn't like all of the cookie cutter seats out there that everyone had.
USA Baby!!!