Sebac shocks

kayde

Just wanted too share how I removed the bottom eye on these nasty rusty crusty shocks without any tube damage.

I read a bunch on how others tore these down
And one of the few tools I dont have is a strap wrench so I had too improvise.

I had this old beat up an frayed lift sling laying around that I really should of discarded for safety sake so I didnt care if it got damaged further.
But really almost any old strapping should work as long as you dont mind some damage too it.

I looped the strap loosely around the shock tube twice with the loops side by side for more surface tension.
Then with some slack in the strap between the shock and vice i tightened the vice down on the strap. my vice jaws have some nice sharp teeth that were not nice too the strap.

You can see on the one shock my initial very lite snuggle in my vice left tooth marks on the tube..no dents just knurl marks.

Once the vice was tight on the strap i started twisting the strap by spinning the shock till the strap was super tight on the tube.
Then used my larger adjustable wrench i turned the eye right out very easily.

I had 3 others to do so I broke out the impact with a 1.125 sized socket to turn them off but really didnt need too.

Its amazing how stuck these get but once cracked loose how easy they turn off.

Anyway perhaps this idea might help someone else later on.

Attachments

kayde

Might as well show a few progress pics since I started this.

These shocks were pretty much stuck.
Luckily I got them too collapse just enough to get the socket on the shaft nut ,but they stayed in that collapsed position until I twisted an pulled them apart.

Surprisingly the plastic shaft boots are still in one piece. Up in those boots is where the cob webs were that rusted up the shafts and stuck them up good.

Attachments

kayde

I'm terrible at taking progress pics, but anyway,
Because I'm lazy I dropped the rubber bits into a container of clr for about 2 days, then just rinsed them off , they came out clean and black and reusable again.

The chrome spring seats were rubbed with steel wool mostly too get the black spray bomb off then dropped in vinegar for a few days to soak, and came out very useable.

kayde

Then the krylon king stopped by and worked some of his colorful magic.

The chrome on the springs was gone, and springs have always been miserable for me too blast but... they look good enough for me.

Attachments

kayde

And finally working sebac shocks that I can look at without cringing.

I lubed the inner plastic sleeve and polished shaft with a bit of grease,
anti siezed the aluminum eyelet end threads. And lock tited the shaft nuts back on. Hopefully these will be functional for just a while longer.

I would never say restored but can say resurrected and completely change the look of a rusty heap of a bike.

Attachments