Sensation Mike Bike 'refurbish'

hey folks, i just recently joined OldMiniBikes, and am loving it! this is a great site to browse in my spare time or to get ideas and pointers!

well back to my project! i recently aquired a 70's Sensation Mike Bike. the previous owner had painted over the ugly green with a red paint, but didnt sand down the original coat so it was starting to flake. i also got an early 2000's 5hp Briggs and Stratton that i put on it! after sanding down the frame, putting some primer on, and then the silver top coat, i was in business! the 5hp reall goes! my neighbor has one of those baja warriors with the 6.5, and my Mike Bike whooped its butt in a street race!!! gotta love american made!!!!

i will try to post some pictures, still trying to figure out the site!! :wink:

Sinner70, get a 5hp flathead briggs on it! it looks AWSOME in silver!

Mac, close, but no cigar! it has the two-person seat and the rear part of the frame is a bit different, so im thinking maybe a difference in the manufacture year!?

Hey guys, I have a question here... I finished painting my Mike Bike frame, but I am disappointed with the outcome... The 'shiny' part if the paint can be 'scrubbed' off with a finger! :facepalm: Another thing is the throttle cable wore off the paint down to the primer where it was rubbing on the handlebar. I have some leftover paint, so should I toutch it up, then put on some topcoat/paint protector, or just leave it to dry for like a week...? Any pointers on what to do are apprieciated!! :shrug:

Buckeye, no I didn't use clear coat... I've never done anything like that before, so I proly should have done some more research before I jumped in head first!! :doah: but the primer was just a generic can of Valspar interior/exterior primer.... Wrong stuff...? :shrug:

Big Jim

I use a self etching primer on bare metal. Make sure it is above 60 degrees, the can says 50 but be sure it's warm enough. also most sprays are not fuel proof, meaning gas will eat it (knew this but) use a top coat.

the way the rear tapers off on yours is different than on mine. on my bike it is rounded... dumb question, since i havent posted any pictures, how can you guys tell?!?!:confused:

well, purchaced a can of laquer/clear coat for the frame, taking my time to repaint it and clearcote it. waiting on a crankshaft from The Restore Kid, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :laugh: hopefully after a bit of shop time, i can finaly rest easy with out the fear of my clutch slipping again!!!!

well i toutched up the paint with some leftover paint i had. and after leaving it to dry for a day, i started to put on the clearcote. i was sorely dissapointed with the results.... it totaly took away the shine of the silver paint! now it is a dull grey with a hint of gloss from the clearcote. it doesnt look THAT bad, but its deffinatley not the result i was gunning for...