Shattered bearing in rear axle of Hill-Topper

I went for a ride yesterday evening only to get 100 yards from the house and the bike pulled to the right.
The chain slipped off of the rear sprocket and jammed the rear wheel. No harm done, but I had to pull the master link to roll the bike back
Home.
I pulled the rear wheel off only to find the right rear axle bearing ( new four months ago) was in pieces. While this type of bearing is sealed and has the built in "snap-ring" type retainer to keep it from falling back into the axle tube, the race was shattered. The ring was intact.
The rear axle was almost cut in half from the chain tensioner.
I made a slip over steel tube that would just touch each of the two bearings and prevent any inward movement into the axle tube in the event of a severe rock strike. (I think that is what may have happened.)
The two axle bearings now cannot move outward or inward as they are captured. Small 5/8" spacers contact the inner race of each bearing allowing a free movement of the rear wheel under stress of the jack shaft under load. No rear wheel lock nuts or other devices contact the bearings.
A test ride for a mile on my mountain shows no problems.

Last edited: