Sherpa

A 6hp would probably be best, but I think a 7hp or 8hp would work. The coils are all the same and you could use a Magnatron coil so you won't need points. I'm not sure if there is a different balance on the higher HP flywheels.

Thanks Richard... for the info...I did pay pal tonight..so should be there for you..... I’m putting new tires on the Sherpa. Tried to put tubes in but ended up with punctures...finally just gave up and bought tires...

I have seen pictures of two other Sherpa’s that both have the speed control box setup.... I wonder if that was how they sent them out.... also... Richard.... you posted the article titled “Industry”. And in the article it said...” In hopes of selling 5,000 scooters in 1963”..... ... so in your thinking... did they build the bikes and use NOS motors ..... 58-60 motors and put them in 60-63 bikes

After looking at duke708 serial number... I believe his bike was built 4 bikes ahead of mine.... our numbers match up to the last two digits his is four numbers before

I have seen pictures of two other Sherpa’s that both have the speed control box setup.... I wonder if that was how they sent them out.... also... Richard.... you posted the article titled “Industry”. And in the article it said...” In hopes of selling 5,000 scooters in 1963”..... ... so in your thinking... did they build the bikes and use NOS motors ..... 58-60 motors and put them in 60-63 bikes
I have no way to be sure, but it is likely they used older NOS motors on the 1963 Sherpa Hillbillys. I always thought the Hillbilly was older, until I found the Intermountain Industry article.

Working on the motor for the Sherpa.....someone has mounted a fuel pump to the block... I’m new to the small engine world and have never had a Briggs in front of me split open... am curious if this area is the right spot to drill into to mount the fuel pump? I don’t plan on mounting it back in that spot.... but am curious if that area is thick enough

Attachments

I don't think that is the recommended spot to attach the fuel pump 'pulse' line. I would be concerned about oil splashing into the line. I have seen the pulse line connected to a 'banjo' fitting and a hollow side case bolt, that appeared to be a factory set-up. A simple connection to the breather tube should work. Both of these could leave oil in the pulse line, so route the line so oil drains back into the motor, I have connected a barb fitting to the intake manifold for the pulse.

If you want to run your fuel pump without drilling your block or Manifold you can purchase a valve cover from B&S with the port along side of the breather.. just a simple remove and replace I'll attach a picture I used this set up on one of my bikes and it works without any issues!!

Attachments