Should I buy it? Any advice welcome

Hey guys, extremely new to the forum as well as the world of mini bikes, was actually pleasantly surprised to find there was a whole crazy community out there that loves and knows a bunch about them!
I want to getting into a small hobby to keep me occupied and thought this would be a good place to start, ive been looking at getting a mini to play/work on and I found this puppy for sale online.

It's got a Predator 212cc go kart engine, with a custom 2" straight pipe. It also has a 30 series Torque-a-verter belt drive system.Has
Apparently only had a few hours of riding and is in great condition. Now I havnt checked it out yet but they asking around $450

What you guys think? Is this a good deal? Good mini to start with/work on?
Any advice on the bike, future customisation etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
knobblies
20170725_183251.png

Looks good to me :thumbsup: I would low ball them but if you want it then pay what you are comfortable spending :thumbsup: I got mine for free and with a few bucks and some help from other members its getting done :thumbsup:

Not an unfair price for the retail market but seems about $150 too high for the bike given what it is. They are probably looking to recoup the $ spent building it which was a fair chunk if it's a real Comet TAV but you can't be the guy to make them whole or you spent too much. That pipe is going to break under it's own weight unless they braced the hell out if it, kind of a mess so it needs a real pipe. A $300 machine tops.

In my mind, that pipe says Mickey Mouse was helping with the build. For any where between $20 and 75 dollars, a real exhaust pipe can be purchased. If they had the funds to put a torque convertor on it, another $30 would seem reasonable and much more performance oriented.
If you really want it, talk them down to the $200 range. That accounts for the motor, ($100) and a found frame. Maybe $250 if you are feeling generous.
Or, you could take that amount, add $50 to $150 to it and get a real, vintage mini bike. For me, if it isn't at least a classic style mini, it doesn't count.

olddog

In my mind, that pipe says Mickey Mouse was helping with the build. For any where between $20 and 75 dollars, a real exhaust pipe can be purchased. If they had the funds to put a torque convertor on it, another $30 would seem reasonable and much more performance oriented.
If you really want it, talk them down to the $200 range. That accounts for the motor, ($100) and a found frame. Maybe $250 if you are feeling generous.
Or, you could take that amount, add $50 to $150 to it and get a real, vintage mini bike. For me, if it isn't at least a classic style mini, it doesn't count.

$250 - $300 won't get much of a classic if you are looking to ride, at least from what I have seen in this area.

One thing has become apparent, everything is a Rupp, everything is worth $1500.00...

As Manchester1 noted these are Chinese knock offs. Sold through places like Wally World, Tractor Supply, etc. when new.

If you are just looking for something to flog around would not be a bad bike. But two things, #1 that exhaust has to go, it's just trouble waiting to happen. #2 way too much for what it is.

On a side note, if you go look at it, look real close at the welds. Some of the early ones were prone the the welds cracking.

You can get the stock muffler for them free to very cheap. A lot of guys buy new predators and then put on a header pipe. There are stock mufflers laying around thousands of garages as I write this...
I have 3 that are for the older non Hemi clone type engines. You are welcome to have one if it fits. Just pay shipping.
I too think $450 is to high of a price for what that is. Now if that was a Speedway, Bonanza, Lil Indian, real Rupp, Gilson etc with a front and rear suspension, then yeah, it would be worth it. But for a China bike, not so much.

JMO Danford1

Thanks everyone!!
I actually found a guy selling a complete bike (same model) as well as a 2nd bike minus the seat and engine for $300.
Now all that's left is to start on the frame and build that into a beast.

I have a few of these and it's the best riding mini bike I own. I recently sold one that I had completely set up with ape hangers, exhaust, and a built motor, plus torque converter for $725. It all depends on Market Value, however I won't pay over 250 for one so your 2 for 300 was a killer deal