shouldn't do it! 70's Manco Chopper

I must like to punish myself :eek:ut:!!! This thing is almost scrap metal. But its bought and paid for, was going to part it out to get some of my money back, but it was slow at work so i decided to see what i could do with it. Its a Manco Stars and stripes has a bit of the red paint on the frame and white on the forks and sissy. Just going to see how the repairs go then decide if I'm going to go forward. It wont be restored I'm sure i wont find the parts!!! the rims are some sort of moped type, engine has no spark.

Some youngster must have found his dads drill and saw. He went to town drilling random holes and "notching" the frame to fit the B&S !! The through bolt for the seat is twisted a bit and the fork holes are egged out bad you can wiggle the forks about 2" to 3" the neck on the frame is cracked on both sides and the reinforcement plate is pulled out also.

markus

aww thats not too bad, I see a nice welder sitting there to tackle the work it needs:thumbsup:

the one I got they could not loosen the headtube bolt so they decided they were gonna cut the tube off:doah:

luckily it was only one side that they cut and gave up about 3/4 through so I had it welded back up.

they are cool bikes :thumbsup: A buddy now has mine but hes not doing anything with it. If I decide to sell my Duster chopper I may get it back and finish it up.

I have to say the Yamaha wheels on yours really dont look that terrible on there:shrug:

Some work done to it to try to straighten and massage it back into shape. Added some bushings to the forks to strengthen and now there is zero play in the neck!! also whipped the motor plate into shape as best i can.

looks like a fun rebuild. You're doing a great job on the repairs. I too have been staring at Mr.Graphic's bike for a couple days now, really like the profile.

cxbra

Incredible job youre doing! Wow, I have never seen a bike hacked up so bad! I tried to get into the mind of a person who would drill holes through the frame tubing, and then something said :no:.. Dont ever try to get inside the mind of a crazy person!:eek:ut::blink:. I love the addition of the bushings in the forks, nice job.

Thanks guys!! I think i will cut some rod to stick into the holes then weld them in flush, then use bondo to round them to match the tube, anyone have a better idea?? As for the engine that came on the bike i adjusted the points and coil gap, sprayed the carb down, changed oil, made a custom air cleaner and... it fired right up! It does smoke but idles and revs good. I painted it a bit because it looked like a gallon of flat grey primer fell on it!! :eek:ut: I'm not going to keep the engine so off to CL it goes, engine test stand not included :thumbsup:

Going to try to make the Yamaha rims work, i like the bigger 8" rim look, not sure if the rear tire will clear a tec air cleaner so i will mock everything up, going to need a lot of work with spacers,bushings, to get it to work. Also will have to think something up to lock the brake plates. :grind::hammer::confused::hammer::shrug:

It's got such a tough look to it with the bigger wheels, I'm glad that you're keeping them :thumbsup:
I'm going to try, it has small diameter metric size axles so its going to take a assortment of different size spacers. also the axle mount holes in the frame are rather large especially the rear! if anyone has a chopper like this handy does yours have a bushing through the rear frame? what size rear axle did it have?

Going to try to make the Yamaha rims work, i like the bigger 8" rim look, not sure if the rear tire will clear a tec air cleaner so i will mock everything up, going to need a lot of work with spacers,bushings, to get it to work. Also will have to think something up to lock the brake plates. :grind::hammer::confused::hammer::shrug:
I am not normally one to appreciate the vintage bikes but this one has timeless bodylines and looks great with those wheels. Your doing a great job on the restoration, can't wait to see the finished result.:thumbsup:

I have one that I am currently rebuilding my self right now mine I believe is all original accept the rear wheel wich I am trying to find right now just curious what are you doing about the seat mine is missing also

Keep up the great work