Silencer (RLV) vs muffler on header

I need the ability to quiet my Bonanza 1200 with a 212 in my neighborhood. The silencer looks nicer, but how does it sound compared to a screw in muffler! Second question is which header will fit under the middle of my seat

I74

3 stage under seat header pipes is what I use, Doug.
My GX-200 , I use that & a RLV 91 screw in mini muffler, which the threaded inlet ID is bored out ''a lot '' so it's not restricted.
I then cut off the 3rd. stage of the pipe to clamp the muffler inside the 2nd stage, using an RLV 1' clamp, plus the clamp to secure one end of the hanger strap/ bracket.
Cutting off the 3rd stage also sets the muffler from sticking out the back of the bike.
It is super quite, but still sounds great.;)
I 100_5767 (1).JPG

I74

Added,,
You also need to cut a few 1/2 inch ''or so'' long slots around the 2nd stage outlet, so the clamp can compress the pipe to secure the muffler.
Hacksaw works fine for that, & for cutting off the 3rd stage.

DaddyJohn

I've found the Briggs hot dog style muffler to be effective, as well as decent looking and inexpensive.

I typically use them in the configuration shown in the second picture HERE.

Since you are using headers, I assume you are not concerned about the "spark arrester". With that in mind, I have used the threaded mufflers, mentioned by DaddyJohn, and used a 1/2 inch drill bit to open the center of the unit. I reduces the sound, but still permits a lot of the "header" sound to pass through. Think in terms of a "glasspack" for a car. By drilling out the spark arrester, you create a straight through muffler, with baffling on the sides.

3 stage under seat header pipes is what I use, Doug.
My GX-200 , I use that & a RLV 91 screw in mini muffler, which the threaded inlet ID is bored out ''a lot '' so it's not restricted.
I then cut off the 3rd. stage of the pipe to clamp the muffler inside the 2nd stage, using an RLV 1' clamp, plus the clamp to secure one end of the hanger strap/ bracket.
Cutting off the 3rd stage also sets the muffler from sticking out the back of the bike.
It is super quite, but still sounds great.;)
I View attachment 258805
You spelled it out well. I like your idea. Made an order today from a cool new supplier. Can’t wait to assemble it.

Since you are using headers, I assume you are not concerned about the "spark arrester". With that in mind, I have used the threaded mufflers, mentioned by DaddyJohn, and used a 1/2 inch drill bit to open the center of the unit. I reduces the sound, but still permits a lot of the "header" sound to pass through. Think in terms of a "glasspack" for a car. By drilling out the spark arrester, you create a straight through muffler, with baffling on the sides.
We get some big fires here in Oregon. Spark arresters are important if you want to ride during the summers. When fire danger levels are high the off-road trails are even closed to riding.

I just read the RULES of the forest service. You must have a spark arrestor year around to ride in the forest around here. Good to know.

Here's a thought. Go with a header that has the threaded end, for the muffler. Buy two mufflers, drill one out, leave the other as is. That way, you could ride where you want, when you want and still have the same look.

Here's a thought. Go with a header that has the threaded end, for the muffler. Buy two mufflers, drill one out, leave the other as is. That way, you could ride where you want, when you want and still have the same look.
That’s a great idea! Here is what came on the bike (not drilled out) ,but I keep melting my nylon sweat pants LOL 98E87B35-11D3-46DD-A2FB-A6B8A3A29AF1.jpeg

Nice, undisturbed flow of the exhaust there Doug. You're right, a header would push the exit back away for your leg. I have been working on my Trail Horse , off and on, for a while. I do have a Predator with the header and hotdog muffler in it. I'll try to get a pic today. It might give you and idea of whay you end up with, on you Bonanza.

View attachment 258899

The way this header works out, it turns the exhaust inside the frame, away from your leg and exist above the rear fender.
That’s a mighty shiny engine! I’ve gotta clean mine now! My header is very similar. The sound of a silencer is similar to the hotdog. I just plain like the look of the silencer more, but it’s not a spark arrestor. Soooo I’m going with both. One for fire season.

That’s a mighty shiny engine! I’ve gotta clean mine now! My header is very similar. The sound of a silencer is similar to the hotdog. I just plain like the look of the silencer more, but it’s not a spark arrestor. Soooo I’m going with both. One for fire season.
I like the sound of the silencer better than the stock muffler too. Give the drilled muffler a chance. You may find a new favorite.