Simple wiring question

myjunk

I am putting a key switch in a go kart I am working on. The engine is a JLO snowmobile engine, coming from it are 4 wire, 2 yellows a black and a blue. The blue hooks to the coil and also has a black wire attached to i that kills the engine when grounded. My question is where do the wires connect on the key switch. The switch is marked B G and ST. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

old shed finds

I am thinking you are lucky because 4 wire means its has lighting system too.
You can power lights up on the go kart.
Now to the question.
You might need your voltmeter to see the circuit close on your switch..and our guess is the black wire is the factory kill switch wire.
The blue can possible be a battery charge wire.and 2 yellows run lighting circuit...
The switch.
B .... Battery?
G ....Ground?
ST....strator?
Hopefully this helps but I'm not perfect. .just a idea from my idea...

myjunk

Now to the question.
You might need your voltmeter to see the circuit close on your switch..and our guess is the black wire is the factory kill switch wire.
The blue can possible be a battery charge wire.and 2 yellows run lighting circuit...
The switch.
B .... Battery?
G ....Ground?
ST....strator?
Now to the question.
The switch.
B .... Battery?
G ....Ground?
ST....strator?
Thanks, yes I believe it has the light potential. The engine actually could have an electric starter on it, but I am not putting one on it. I am guessing that the ST on the switch would go to the electric starter?

I am putting a key switch in a go kart I am working on. The engine is a JLO snowmobile engine, coming from it are 4 wire, 2 yellows a black and a blue. The blue hooks to the coil and also has a black wire attached to i that kills the engine when grounded. My question is where do the wires connect on the key switch. The switch is marked B G and ST. Thanks for the help.
With it being a JLO snowmobile engine, that switch you have pictured will not work. One of those wires from the engine (I suspect the blue one) needs to be grounded to stop the engine. You will need a switch that grounds the ignition. The one you have is for a tractor with battery/coil ignition.
once upon a time I used to play with those old JLO/Hirth motors , I believe your yellow wires are lighting coil, and the black is ground but my memory is foggy as it’s been 20 plus years since then..

First, do you have any idea what the engine came out of? If not, then my suggestion is to hit up your local library for a book on snowmobile repair. Look for something that covers 70's vintage sleds, then look in the wiring diagrams for that motor, that should get you a starting point. I would think that there should be a regulator somewhere to change that AC out of the yellows into a DC for battery charging and/or lighting power, but that's a guess on my part.

Roger.

myjunk

With it being a JLO snowmobile engine, that switch you have pictured will not work. One of those wires from the engine (I suspect the blue one) needs to be grounded to stop the engine. You will need a switch that grounds the ignition. The one you have is for a tractor with battery/coil ignition.
once upon a time I used to play with those old JLO/Hirth motors , I believe your yellow wires are lighting coil, and the black is ground but my memory is foggy as it’s been 20 plus years since then..
Thanks. The blue wire that goes to the coil is connected to a smaller black wire that does indeed shut the engine off when grounded against the frame. Would it be possible to connect that wire and run it to the ground connection on the switch? Thanks

myjunk

First, do you have any idea what the engine came out of? If not, then my suggestion is to hit up your local library for a book on snowmobile repair. Look for something that covers 70's vintage sleds, then look in the wiring diagrams for that motor, that should get you a starting point. I would think that there should be a regulator somewhere to change that AC out of the yellows into a DC for battery charging and/or lighting power, but that's a guess on my part.

Roger.
Thanks. The engine was used in variuos snowmobiles including the Rupp 230. I will do some research on that sled and see what I can come up with.All I really want it to do is turn on and shut off. The lights would be a cool feature, but not necessary.

Thanks. The blue wire that goes to the coil is connected to a smaller black wire that does indeed shut the engine off when grounded against the frame. Would it be possible to connect that wire and run it to the ground connection on the switch? Thanks
That G terminal is actually labeled IG if you look closer. That is to supply power to an Ignition coil from the battery.
you could theoretically hook the blue wire to the IG terminal and then ground the battery terminal to the chassis. Only thing is that the switch will work backwards and the engine will only run with the switch in the off position. I wouldn’t recommend that because if someone got into trouble on that thing and needs to kill it quick will they remember the switch is backward from normal?

wjustice

Check the switch with a meter. Its possible the IG is grounded when the switch is in the off position. If it is, the just connect the black wire to the IG and thats it. In the off position the black will be grounded and in the on it is most likely to be connected to the B. Does that sound right to you guys?