Skat Kitty parts questions???

RogerA

I’m still looking and trying to figure out what parts I need to get Skat Kitty back together and running. One of the first things I’ll need to address is the jack shaft assembly. “Bubba” twisted off the end, and it’s missing the small pinion gear on the back side. Any ideas? How many teeth on the small gear? What size chain? Anyone have any parts? THANKS!!! 6889DCBD-2BE1-4B60-A37E-464A6CD38657.jpeg 6889DCBD-2BE1-4B60-A37E-464A6CD38657.jpeg A79A0182-FD37-498F-99C4-A87BA55DC491.jpeg A79A0182-FD37-498F-99C4-A87BA55DC491.jpeg

The section of shaft the sprockets ride on doesn't look centered on the rest of the shaft. It fits in my frame and seems to spin alright. You can see the channels that distribute grease. Seems there should be some kind of bearing where inside of sprocket touches wider part of shaft. Sure would be nice to see a pic of one that hasn't been messed with. Does the sprocket just spin on the shaft with only grease as a lubricant? I'd think it might get hot.

Attachments

RogerA

The section of shaft the sprockets ride on doesn't look centered on the rest of the shaft. It fits in my frame and seems to spin alright. You can see the channels that distribute grease. Seems there should be some kind of bearing where inside of sprocket touches wider part of shaft. Sure would be nice to see a pic of one that hasn't been messed with. Does the sprocket just spin on the shaft with only grease as a lubricant? I'd think it might get hot.
I was told the shaft that the gears spin on is off center to the mounting shaft as a way to adjust the chain tension. The shaft should have a grease fitting on the end to lube it, and the shaft is drilled and cross drilled to disperse the grease to the gears rotating on the shaft on bronze bushings. I'm still trying to figure it all out too. Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the small sprocket has 20 teeth, so I now know what to look for. Thanks again!
Roger

RogerA

Here's my jack shaft. Looks like someone has been monkeying around with it. Sprockets seem to fit but not sure if it's right.
Here is a picture of the shaft from mine. I think it is original, with just the end twisted off. I think all that end did was mount the chain guard cover. 809668AA-692F-4DF0-9DD0-C834184F272F.jpeg

That shaft looks way different than mine. Does it have the channels to distribute grease? The part on the end that looks broke is where the grease fitting is on mine.

RogerA

That shaft looks way different than mine. Does it have the channels to distribute grease? The part on the end that looks broke is where the grease fitting is on mine.
No channel to distribute the grease, just one small hole. The end that is twisted off, had the grease fitting and secured, with a washer, the gears on the shaft, and the chain guard with a nut, I think.

HeCa66

I was told the shaft that the gears spin on is off center to the mounting shaft as a way to adjust the chain tension. The shaft should have a grease fitting on the end to lube it, and the shaft is drilled and cross drilled to disperse the grease to the gears rotating on the shaft on bronze bushings. I'm still trying to figure it all out too. Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the small sprocket has 20 teeth, so I now know what to look for. Thanks again!
Roger

Hi there
just found this thread as I am trying to adjust the chain tension for the chain going to the back. At the moment the chain is too loose.
My problem is that the shaft is just stuck in there. Do you have any suggestion on how to get it out? And how to adjust the chain?

All the best!

Attachments