skokryders doodle bug

well this whole thing started when I needed more power from my lifan 2.8 engine on my baja doodle bug. so I found a champion 6.5 horse power engine on ebay for $100. then doing research online I found a vid on youtube with this guy on on a doodle bug with the same champion engine pullin wheelies from there I new I needed a tav2 like he had. when I got the tav and engine I was stumped for awhile so I decided write the guy on the youtube vid it turned out to be bananasforbonanzas from oldminibikes, he told me about this site and pointed me to his project log . from there it was easy, I soon had the wheelin, hill climbing, 40mph doodle bug I wanted, but after awhile of reading threads on this site(minidragbike) I wanted more. When winter hit I decided to tear the whole thing apart again this time remove the gov, billet rod, 18lb springs, ratio rockers, honda style 5.5 self ported heads, header, and 22mm mikuni, but when I was all done I still had ugly orange bike and yellow motor. so I decided to change the color to a hot rod style flat black with red pin striping. heres what I ended up with.

I think it turned out pretty good for my first bike. I would have wrote this in the projects log but I didn't take any photos along the way of progress so I didn't think that would fit. I just wanted to show everyone my bike since alot of hard work went into it, and this is the site that made the whole thing possible, so thanks oldminibikes.com, bananas for bonazas, minidragbike,and everyone else that helped through thread posts. hope my bike inspires someone else to start there own project like this site has inspired me :thumbsup:

nice! I built a similar mini for my son, 6.5 clone ,tav2, still governed though. The 1st time I jumped on it, the front wheel was over my head. It's crazy. Nice work!

thanks dave this bikes ment to be ridden on and off the trails its already a little dirty, plus I got a can of flat black touch up paint just incase, and stony kill I did the same thing more than once when I first put it together the first time too:smile:

To me, the smallest details makes a restore exciting. I dig the way you painted the Foot Peg and Kick Stand Bolts red. Completes an excellent design in my opinion.:cool:

I'm shooting for that same set-up eventually, only with a stock engine. I think I will have to paint my blue har-frt clone green or black. My doodle is bright green. I cant picture a bright green bike with a blue engine. What's a good way to prep the blue paint so I can cover with black? Any tips ? As soon as my max torque clutch wears out I'll get the tav-2. Your bike definitely has alot of eye-ball! good job !!!!

Cool bike, Great job:thumbsup: How fast does it go???

We should start a thread with photos of members with custom or modified Baja mini's

Last edited:
Cool bike, Great job:thumbsup: How fast does it go???

We should start a thread with photos of members with custom or modified Baja mini's
+1 sick mini, skokryder!

and another +1 for the custom DB thread, i'm working on one over the next few weeks too :thumbsup:

thanks everyone! Well It actually doesn't go tha much faster than stock about 50mph is its max plus I lift the throttle at about 5000 rpm, It accelerates alot! faster though! I should probably change the 5.16 gearing I got goin on. but having that kind of wheeling take off is a blast. maybe Ill put in just a little bit smaller sprocket to go just a little faster. as for Painting the engine Im no expert by the looks of it you should be asking cjtmini, but what I did was scuff and sand on the old paint to give the new paint something to hold on too, clean it up, and Paint it. I used duplicolor engine enamel and there engine enamel clear coat thats supposed to make it tougher.

as for a db post it sounds like a good idea, there seems to be more and more db projects all the time and since nothings sacred on them like a classic american mini bike, their should be some cool ones

your bug gives about 50 mph.........not bad. How many teeth on your rear sprocket? I think some Baja mini's have different tooth sprockets. Does it seem like your TAV "shifts" to soon?

The TAV I have comes off the line strong and then it shifts out around 15-20 mph and really keeps the engine revs down. Don't get me wrong it keeps accelerating but with some clutch tuning I feel the bike would be quicker 20-45 mph. Has anyone ever messed with the spring in the driven unit?

You commented about paint. nice paint=$$$
$180 for the powdercoat on the frame, fork, pegs, kickstand and some wheel spacers

$50 to a local body shop to paint the tank and shroud.

This was the biggest cost of the project

My db has a 64 tooth rear sprocket I thinkin of changing to a 60 tooth so not to change the torque so much and improve the top speed. I kind of know what you mean about it shifting to early seems to take a little longer to acclerate past 3000-3500 rpm once the over drive kicks in, I'm not sure if its the spring or that these tavs aren't ment to really go past 8 hp or 3600 rpm. I haven't messed with the spring in the driven unit yet but have thought about it, I'v also have heard that theres a stiffer spring you can install if thats not enough.

by the way I was mistakin about my gear ratio earlier its 5.33 just so no one corrects me Im changing to a 5.00

Last edited:
hey skokryder on your valve cover you have a little filter(looks like a little air filter). Is that where the hose was that connected to your factory air box? If so what is the purpose of that hose and does that filter do anything for the motor?

hey skokryder on your valve cover you have a little filter(looks like a little air filter). Is that where the hose was that connected to your factory air box? If so what is the purpose of that hose and does that filter do anything for the motor?
that's a breather filter that's attached to the hose you're thinking of. he's running a Mikuni carb and it doesn't have a provision for the breather hose (usually goes back to the carb).

most auto parts stores should stock filters like that. they're pretty cheap too. i'm using a Uni-Filter on mine, you can see it in the pic.