SLEEVES

PatrickCraik

I have a well worn H35 and wondered if I could sleeve the block. I was told by a local expert,no can do but I just saw a Barris Chopper ad here claiming his engines were sleeved from the factory. Has anybody done this? Thanks

PatrickCraik

I have a well worn H35 and wondered if I could sleeve the block. I was told by a local expert,no can do but I just saw a Barris Chopper ad here claiming his engines were sleeved from the factory. Has anybody done this? Thanks
Dont know how to edit my post,just wanted to show the Barris ad. 1543331331595.png
yes you can sleeve it. just got to find the right sleeve size. here is a small thread about sleeve's in factory blocks and one of the members sleeving one of his engines. nice thing about running a sleeve it makes the engine a lot more durable. it's alot harder to chew up the cylinder walls and in my opinion the rings seal a lot better.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hs40-iron-cylinder.159219/

Thanks much!

They were using factory sleeved engines, not adding one to a cool-bore. Yes, you can have a sleeve installed in a worn block, but the cost likely outweighs the value. You'd have to really love that block to not just find a nicer one. Oversized pistons are around for most, and as long as the finish is done correctly, should live a long and happy life. Upgrading to a more modern piston design would be nice. Millennium can Nikasil the bore, and make up for a reasonable amount of wear. Harder than woodpecker lips and still good heat transfer.