Slight crack in block... Safe or No

I have a slight crack in the block where low oil sensor cable leaves the motor...I currently have a 3/8 plug w/ red locktite in the hole.... U guys think im say or should i take some extra precautions

Attachments

Are you certain it's not just casting flash? Can you grind it a tad to verify? It's likely not a problem. Did it open up when you ran the pipe plug in?

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
it should be ok. it is not under a lot or pressure like a combustion chamber is. just be sure to get a thin coat of some kind of sealer so the oil wont leak out.

I think the worst that "could" happen is the crank bearing will spin/move a bit in the casting if the crack makes it that far. Can you use a plastic plug?

BWL

Oh, man, I could imagine:
Ghostrider 323, I've noticed a small crank in the air frame, not much pressure on that joint. Are we go for supersonic flight? What's the worst that could happen?
NOTE: The people saying it will be okay haven't bet their lives on this little crack spreading on a motor hopped up to run high RPM, high torque and high power levels on an engine design notoriously unbalanced because of only one cylinder.

If this were your wife or your child would you let them run this block? NR has Predator blocks for $44. Clone blocks are $37.

Last edited:

SAS289

I could never figure out why people mess with that in the first place. Just disconnect the oil low sensor and run. What's the advantage of a fancy plug in the block? Cosmetic?

KB2ROCKET

Clean it up real good and flush the area with alcohol then completely pack it with J B weld don't put a plug in it that's how the stress cracked it in the first place let it fully cure go fourth and be joyful

Oh, man, I could imagine:

NOTE: The people saying it will be okay haven't bet their lives on this little crack spreading on a motor hopped up to run high RPM, high torque and high power levels on an engine design notoriously unbalanced because of only one cylinder.

If this were your wife or your child would you let them run this block? NR has Predator blocks for $44. Clone blocks are $37.
Smart man...block is scrap. Any crack in the block is bad...small and especially large.

Basically it is scrap but I wouldn't be afraid to put a plastic plug in it with some liquid pipe sealant and run it until it gives. I don't think it will change.

I have some custom ported 289 heads that have had cracks in the rocker stud bosses since the bosses were machined (40 years ago), taped and the machinist forgot to chamfer the holes and the studs round shoulder spread the bosses just enough to crack every one of them. I have turned that motor 8 grand so many times I cant count. Never a change.

I would run it just to see if it would change.

Doug

KB2ROCKET

mostly relevant as I think back to the early 70's as we ran around with our minis that were put together in the same spirit as a tree house and by this I mean with junk parts put together by kids that had no idea what they were doing chains were breaking I would ruin wheel bearings by over tightening them with no support thing would fall off from vibration we rode around with no helmets and shorts I think the worst failure I had was forgetting to put the snap ring back on the mercury clutch and the drum moved outbored and the shoes flew out that hurt but did not break skin we were running bald tires or even solid tires anything we could bolt on and no one died or anything like that so I cant get to excited about a hairline crack in in a super low stress part of the block. but I will also concede that totally swapping al the parts to a new engine block may be better but keep in mind that all the moving parts in your present engine have already matched them self to the block that you now have and may not seal or ride correctly in the next block . so where do I draw the line on these toys?? the flywheel if it has any damage in its bore it needs to be replaced have fun and do what you want life is full of choices