Slow my Hemi down, really!

Hey all. Got a Sears Runabout rat rod bike that is way too wheelie prone and fast, especially for grandchildren. Just a riot in the dirt, but a death wiggle machine on hard surfaces. Its got a 10 tooth clone clutch and a 48 tooth rear sprocket.
So, the following mods are what I’ve come up with so far...
TAV with weaker springs and a suitably geared jackshaft? Lower the max throttle as well? It will be a crushed stone driveway rider and maybe some two tracks. The 48 tooth is as big as I want in the dirt.
Never slowed one down before...
SAT

Last edited:
Oops read that wrong. Thought you said it had a TAV2 and was going to tell you to replace it with a Jack shaft. You could try installing a restrictor plate, putting a thicker head gasket to lower compression, maybe adjust your throttle so it don't open all the way. This still have the governor on it?

Last edited:
Oops read that wrong. Thought you said it had a TAV2 and was going to tell you to replace it with a Jack shaft. You could try installing a restrictor plate, putting a thicker head gasket to lower compression, maybe adjust your throttle so it don't open all the way. This still have the governor on it?
Yup, the hemi is rumning just as it came out of the box, adding oil and gas.
I like the restrictor plate idea.
Thanks for taking the time to help,
Steve

My stock hemi and a TAV2 was wheelie prone if you ham fist the throttle, even with a stretched wheelbase DB and my 200lbs riding it.

I would just limit the throttle travel. That way its an easy swap back when they are ready to move up

CarPlayLB

Move the spring on the driven unit to the 11 o'clock position to soften the takeoff. Most new TAV's have the driven spring in the center position

My stock hemi and a TAV2 was wheelie prone if you ham fist the throttle, even with a stretched wheelbase DB and my 200lbs riding it.

I would just limit the throttle travel. That way its an easy swap back when they are ready to move up
Will do, thanks

Well, I got a Briggs 2hp on the Ruttman that would qualify. I just wanna see the grand kids say, ya, it’s got a hemi”
Moe, very likely we will see you on the 30th.
Thanks everyone for your time on this unconventional idea.

Last edited:
When I gave my daughter her first mini bike she tore around like Evil Knievel. Then she hit a tree. Luckily she was wearing a helmet and protective gear and was not hurt. It took me a week to straighten out the forks though.
It was amazing how slow she drove it after that little "Learning experience"

Food for thought............

When I gave my daughter her first mini bike she tore around like Evil Knievel. Then she hit a tree. Luckily she was wearing a helmet and protective gear and was not hurt. It took me a week to straighten out the forks though.
It was amazing how slow she drove it after that little "Learning experience"

Food for thought............
Thanks for taking the time to post this. We run both bikes in a tree-rich environment. So helmets with skulls on ‘em are mandatory, along with gloves, eye protection, long pants and shirts, with good shoes on.
Steve