Slow Poke wannabe DragBike

Well I guess I'm in!! Open Class

I have been drooling over some of the drag bikes you guys have been building, so this is the excuse to build one.

I will be scratch building the frame , and will use a 16.5 -6.5 - 8 trailer tire for the rear and a 13 -5 -6 for the front.

The engine is a 208 cc 7hp clone I am not sure what power mods I will get done to it hence the name Slow Poke , but it's all about looking cool! LOL

The High Speed Front Fork art work is for comic relief.

Big Rob.

hoppy

Big rob........sounds like a great plan! Keeping the engine stock should keep it reliable for years. Im keeping my new engine for the build stock. Drag bikes are just that made for speed and it takes a bunch of expensive parts to do it then leaving with you with a less reliable engine. Piece of mind when your far from home is priceless. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Well not much progress on my build , but did a lot more research and looking at what other members have built , thanks Waltsuz and others.
I have drawn my frame full size to test fit components and picked up 28 feet of tubing.
Oh did I mention I might add a SECOND ENGINE!!!
Hopefully get something done on sat.
Rob.

Should be a productive day in the shop , below freezing so I have to kerosene heaters going and a 220 volt heater with the same plug as my welder if I need it but hate to run up the power bill LOL.
What it like in your part of the country today?

buckeye

Believe it or not, upper 20s this morning. Will be mid 60s this afternoon though.
My daughter32 and her kart racing husband are comming to ride the mini bikes today. Finally have someone to play with.

I forced myself to finish cleaning and rearanging my shop , So I didn't get much done on the drag mini.
I had to set up my old building bench for full size bikes as this little sucker is going to have a 58 to 60 inch wheel base .

The components laid out to get a feel for the size!!

The front and rear tires side by side , That 16.5 - 6.5 -8 looks huge LOL.

I should be able to start bending some tubing this week.
Rob.

Thanks guys , It seems like every time I am about to get started on the frame something comes up. Oh well it gives me more design time with the graph paper and pencil.
re Low&Wide I had a` princess auto pipe KINKER(like harbour freight) but scraped it and used the parts to make my own rotating mandrel bender I will show some pictures of it in action when I start bending.
Rob.

Last edited:
I did some more planning and went to princrss auto after work to pick up a few more pieces of the puzzel.
My plan to run two 6.5 hp clones is going to take some planning , I have read every post on this forum that I could find that dealt with twin engined builds, and it seems that every one has a different view on it and I guess that I will end up doing it my own way as usual.lol
I am going to run clutches on both engines , so tha they can find their own rhythm so to speak.
I picked up two 32 tooth #40 sprockets that I will turn on my lathe make them into rings that I will weld to the outer bell of my clutches , They will be joined with #40 chain with a tensioner and the rear clutch will drive the rear wheel from the standard 12 tooth sprocket. The reason for this is that I feel there will be less rolling resistance with the larger diameter sprockets than by using a clutch with a double sprocket on rear clutch, and I think it will look really cool.
I picked up a drive plate and hub for the rear wheel and a flange mount bearings for the 3/4" live axel.
I also came across a couple of old tachs under my bench I may try and use the vintage chrome one ,but wait I guess I will need two of them or make a selector switch to change from engine 1 to 2 LOL

Anyway here are some picts of my new bits and pieces.

The 32 tooth sprockets and clutch

The hub drive plate and bearings

The old tacs the chrome bonneville one must be from the 60's ?

Any one know how to wire up tacs to clones ? and any advice on the two engine setup
will be greatly apreciated ,Thanks Rob.

I'll add a little for you to think about....I understand your reasoning on the outer sprockets but is is going to make up for the rotational mass you are adding?

If the tachs have a setting for once for every revolution then it will work,even better would be an induction type that would connect to one plug wire.you can only hook up to one engine at a time.