Small Engine Interest

Hi. I'm DJ. I live in South FLorida. I have been recently Inherited both a 5hp Horizontal and 3hp Vertical Briggs engines. The 3hp is on a Lawn edger and the Horizontal engine is not mounted to any equipment. i also scored a free mini atv. i wanna study small engines and get them all running.

I got started on a little 3HP Briggs. Awesome starting point if you're interested in learning about motors. Plenty of info in the "Briggs and Stratton" section here on the forum and plenty of friendly and helpful members to guide you :thumbsup:

Welcome!

I think you may have your terminology reversed. Every lawn edger I've ever seen has a horizontal (shaft) motor. But welcome, none the less. I'm sure many here would love to see pics of the ATV.

I knew as I was typing that, that someone would find one and "prove" me wrong. But I'm sure you're aware of the fact that there are considerably more horizontal shaft edgers than vertical ones. I've lived in the Washington D.C. suburbs almost 60 years, and worked on more than my fair share of equipment(considering that I don't do it professionally), and I stand by my statement, but add the caveat, I've never seen one "in the wild".

And I'd add that it's not as efficient as using a horizontal shaft motor. Any time you make a turn in power, be it a shaft driving a differential, or a twist of a V-belt, there is a loss of power. This is why shaft driven motorcycles have never been able to compete with chain driven bikes in racing. Gearing may make up for some power loss, but speed is compromised.

The last thing I wanted was to hijack a thread.