Small problems with Baja Bug

So I got this Bug with a torque converter and junk, and its a world of difference compared to a centrifugal clutch. But one of the problems I have with it is that the rear tire is very hard to push when it has the little brass bushing. I added some dielectric grease where the bushing makes contact with the shaft and it was working beautifully. No more stiff tire or anything. And now the bushing broke in half, so its a goner; and I have to get a new one.
Just posting this in case anyone is having problems with a stiff rear tire.

Any place that sells slightly thicker bushings? The one that came with the TC was pretty thin, so that plus the relatively high temperatures might have been what killed it.

Another problem is that the bike wants to take off as soon as I turn it on. Didn't really do that before with the clutch, but with the TC, it does.

Solution might be to adjust the idle on the engine, but if I recall correctly; I tried that once and tried to make it as low as possible, but even then the Old Beauty wanted to take off. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this.

And now the biggest problem: Whenever I go full speed I get a little bit of shifting on the tires. And once I let go of the throttle the bike kinda shakes a bit. I wanna change out the TC sprocket to a fifteen-tooth, from a ten-tooth; and the wheel sprocket to a fifty from a seventy (might actually not even change the rear one, just the TC one, since I don't wanna lose too much torque) and if I do, I'm hoping the bike doesn't wobble to the ground if I'm going faster than light. I'd like to point out that the rear tire is pretty old, so I might have to get a new one. But the front tire looks brand new. I had to buy a rear wheel assembly since I added shock forks to my Bug and I also wanted front brakes on it, and couldn't use the original front tire assembly since there was no way to add a rotor.

:scooter:

Last edited:

noseoil

Not sure about the shake (tire pressure, rims good, bad rubber?) but the belt sounds tight if it's trying to leave too soon. The bronze bushings are pretty much junk on cheap TCs from China. Mine went away & was "lost" until I figured out where it went. Found it inside the cover as a fine bronze dust, which was mixed in with the gunk from the chain, oil & grime. Now I don't bother with one, it's fine without it & there are no problems.

Check your belt size & look it up online to see if you have the right one. Also, check the assembly with some online drawings, the belt might be on backwards & engaging too soon. It happens...