Snow Removal... (for us lucky ones that get it) What Do You Use? Show n' Tell

Just thought I'd pose the question, "what do you use for snow clearing?" I was thinking about the other day while cleaning up our 3rd big snow dump this winter... Feel free to post up some pics of your tractors, snow plows, snow blowers, or ...really fancy ...shovels? :shrug:

Here's what I use:

1970's Simplicity 3416 hydro. Swapped in a 10 hp Yanmar clone diesel a few years ago. the plow is off of a 1960's Sears Suburban. The orange brick out back is a welded steel box filled with lead shot. Works good enough although plow is meant for dirt, and with no trip springs I've almost flew over the hood when hooking a driveway crack at speed :doah:

I also use this Simplicity snow blower, it's also of 70's vintage. It now has a 7hp clone engine. Pretty bare bones, but it's tough, ate a frozen phone book once.

Last edited:

ugmold

No Pics. But I have 3 old Ariens 1969-70 snowblowers. All working well, can't seem to part with them. Also a small Toro with 2 stroke engine for my deck (bought 2 of them over the summer for $20, the other I stripped off the engine for temporary power on my Maverick Minibike) And a month ago found a Murray with 4.5hp 2 stroke on the side of the road, it's beat and push, but throws great. I suppose I could always get a plow setup for my 1970's Craftsman Tractor.

I like your machines Sidepocket.

No Pics. But I have 3 old Ariens 1969-70 snowblowers. All working well, can't seem to part with them. Also a small Toro with 2 stroke engine for my deck (bought 2 of them over the summer for $20, the other I stripped off the engine for temporary power on my Maverick Minibike) And a month ago found a Murray with 4.5hp 2 stroke on the side of the road, it's beat and push, but throws great. I suppose I could always get a plow setup for my 1970's Craftsman Tractor.

I like your machines Sidepocket.
Thanks ugmold! Sounds like you've got some good oldies too! My snowblower was a side of the road find as well. I did the piss poor army paint job unfortunately...

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
piss poor army paint job looks quite correct and slightly abused, great panta.

Our newish snowblower would not impress anyone. So here is a Oldy we don't have anymore.

250cc 2 stroke Snowmobile engine on a 70's Mastercraft blower. ! :scared:

1 stage chain drive.

Sold it, to a guy with a monster truck, that just had to have it.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
That thing would chew and shoot snow like a wood chipper :scared:

Thank goodness, thanks to gear ratio ya did not have to run after it.

WLB

I let God remove the snow. He put it there and if I'm patient enough he always removes it. :laugh::laugh: Our driveway makes a big U around the house. If the snow gets over 8 inches I use one of the four wheel drive vehicles and make laps around the driveway and beat it down enough we can still get out easily. Thankfully, snows over a foot deep are very rare.

The only way to roll in deep snow...

[YOUTUBE]cFC5TL9I4PQ[/YOUTUBE]

Also have bucket, angle broom and blade for skid steer, so however the snow comes, I can deal with it.

Last edited:
The only way to roll in deep snow...

[YOUTUBE]cFC5TL9I4PQ[/YOUTUBE]

Also have bucket, angle broom and blade for skid steer, so however the snow comes, I can deal with it.
...Decent.

My neighbour behind me has an older bobcat SS. Sometimes I feel like using the little tractor to plow my driveway is slower than just shoveling...

Bobcat Toolcat 5600. Many choices of Husqvarna Snow Blowers. A few neat STIHL pieces that are good for moving snow.... Depends on the type of snow :shrug:

And lots of salt helps.

15 & 13 year old with shovels....as a back up...2001 arctic cat 4x4 quad with plow....I like them both.
If I had young teens to shovel, they would be my primary mode of snow removal. Physical labor builds character. Although, my Dad had an old Allen Bradley walk behind with a plow, thank God for that, our driveway was 200 ft. long.