Snow set up questions

Np02

More than likely the snow will start melting before I get around to setting up a "snow" rig, but I'm still hopeful. The question of the day is would a purpose built snow tire work better (and how much better) than just making a chain setup that I could deflate the tire and then add on and air up? I'm not trekking in deep snow and forest paths, just on my roads as they only get plowed and not salted. This leaves just enough snow that causes me to have little to no control over my bike rendering it useless from November through March. I could see either of the choices working but am not sure which of the two would be better. ~~Side question- How good do the snow skis work? I remember seeing one in a garage from a man I bought a couple of parts from but haven't seen any since. Heres one somebody made.
rutt.JPG mbski.jpg othermbski.jpg

More than likely the snow will start melting before I get around to setting up a "snow" rig, but I'm still hopeful. The question of the day is would a purpose built snow tire work better (and how much better) than just making a chain setup that I could deflate the tire and then add on and air up? I'm not trekking in deep snow and forest paths, just on my roads as they only get plowed and not salted. This leaves just enough snow that causes me to have little to no control over my bike rendering it useless from November through March. I could see either of the choices working but am not sure which of the two would be better. ~~Side question- How good do the snow skis work? I remember seeing one in a garage from a man I bought a couple of parts from but haven't seen any since. Heres one somebody made.
View attachment 240204 View attachment 240205 View attachment 240206
About 5 years ago, several members would meet-up and ice race. I think they met up near Pontiac in the lakes district. You might have some luck in contacting them.

The ski really only works in a little deeper snow. When there is just a little covering...it doesn't steer worth crap. On top of that it is fickle...meaning it depends on the type of snow...wet snow seemed better than powder dry snow. I have had several different brands through the years...but the one Ruttman sold seemed to work best also. It was a generic ski sold by other brands too. As far as the back tire....on smaller bikes the rototiller treads seems best grip. But for bigger bikes the lawn tractor tread seemed ok. Here is a pic of a 66 1/2 Taco I blasted around the neighborhood just to piss off the Cali guys a few years ago..lol.

Attachments

old shed finds

Glad I can add to this,, our Sherpa with 2 people will go anywhere..... we're in Utah.with its original 12" rear AG tire its unreal the spots it was taking us....1 foot deep honest true,, with a ski on front we really wonder its possibility.... 20190212_071238.jpg

bruces

It sounds to me like you just have ice to deal with ,just stud your current tires and be done with it .If you want to save some cash ,#8 hex head sheet metal screws are a good alternative .

Np02

It sounds to me like you just have ice to deal with ,just stud your current tires and be done with it .If you want to save some cash ,#8 hex head sheet metal screws are a good alternative .
Could probably work but most times its usually just very caked up snow. But ill probably try this this week as we have had some lovely freezing rain piling up lately :)

Np02

The ski really only works in a little deeper snow. When there is just a little covering...it doesn't steer worth crap. On top of that it is fickle...meaning it depends on the type of snow...wet snow seemed better than powder dry snow. I have had several different brands through the years...but the one Ruttman sold seemed to work best also. It was a generic ski sold by other brands too. As far as the back tire....on smaller bikes the rototiller treads seems best grip. But for bigger bikes the lawn tractor tread seemed ok. Here is a pic of a 66 1/2 Taco I blasted around the neighborhood just to piss off the Cali guys a few years ago..lol.
How deep of a thread would you reccomend? For most of my use in the winter the amount of snow I would be driving over would vary greatly anywhere from a dusting to about an inch give or take once the plow comes through. Just wondering what they would do on clear pavement.

How deep of a thread would you reccomend? For most of my use in the winter the amount of snow I would be driving over would vary greatly anywhere from a dusting to about an inch give or take once the plow comes through. Just wondering what they would do on clear pavement.
Like I mentioned...more snow the better for a ski. On light dusting....you are better off with an aggressive tread tire. If you have been on a snow mobile.....the characteristics are close. As far as ice such as a lake.....studded tires are best.

Np02

Like I mentioned...more snow the better for a ski. On light dusting....you are better off with an aggressive tread tire. If you have been on a snow mobile.....the characteristics are close. As far as ice such as a lake.....studded tires are best.
Ill have to see what happens again as some of this will melt and freeze again. A little late for me to be getting into this. All I need to do now is install a hitch and buy a dirt bike rack. the advantages of a civic versus a pickup contnues once more.

bruces

An inch of snow on a frozen roadway is nothing ,you are simply dealing with the icy surface below which will be perfect for studs .If you were going through a field or road with 6 inches or more ,then you are dealing with snow where the tractor tire will rule ,but from what you have posted you need nothing more than a bunch of studs .