So I got a HUGE Wisconsin/Robin Engine!!!

I traded a old briggs 8hp Vert shaft rider engine for a monster Wisconsin robin engine. Its a ey29 or something like that. I want to use it because its so weird looking.. :) :eek:ut:

I don't have a pic of mine yet but its smilier to the one below but in red and looks brand new and a tad bigger.
It was on a Yazoo Mower from the 80's The guy used the crap out of it and the mower fell apart around the engine. Its 14" tall to the top of the engine fins. I didn't measure to the top of the tank since I will not be using it unless I can put it on the top of the frame in front of the seat. I haven't figured out what mini I want to put it on. Im thinking maybe my New Bird Lark?? It should fit further in the front of the frame.

Anyway....... It runs pretty good no smoke or knocks but it really doesn't want to run without the choke being closed somewhat.. It rev's fine but when you let off of it it wont idle it wants to die.. At max rpm it runs perfect.

At idle with the choke closed a bit to keep it running it Surges a little.

I haven't done anything except put gas in it and check the oil and change the plug. It has a real nice thumpy exhaust note...Like a tt500 Yamaha if you have ever heard one of them at idle.

What should I check next?
Not Mine!!!! But this one's ugl....um... cool too!

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Check the carb float bowl if there is one. I have never played with one of those motors before. But I have played with a lot of old motors that haven't been ran in a while. Usually the float in the float bowl gets stuck, fell off, or came a loose.

The problem is usually with the carb. If the float level, and bowl is OK check the main jet, and air passages in the carb. Blow it out, and clean it well with carb cleaner.

Yea if it does have a float type carb like minidragbike is talking about then that needs to be checked first. They have a little rubber piece that the needle goes up in to cut off the amount of fuel coming into the carb. Sometimes the rubber piece gets worn out and and the needle doesnt seal up which allows the carb to flood.
And as far as it not wanting to idle right you might need to adjust the idler screw on the carb. Someone probably tinkered with it not knowing what they were doing were.

Last edited:
i have a bigger 1 its a 20hp with a big gear on it so it can pull cargo boxes around
Ok.....

Im going to try and get a carb kit for it, Im sure someone still has one laying in the dust somewhere. It has a Centrifigul 1" V clutch on it. Im not too sure I'll use that or not. I'll have to jackshaft it to get it to the rear.

Maybe I'll run the belt to the shaft and then chain to the rear wheel?

And then...........Hang on!!!!!!!!!!! :scooter:

65ShelbyClone

The belt primary drive will be a little quieter than a chain clutch, probably a little less violent on engagement too.

There doesn't seem to be much following for the flathead Wisconsin-Robins or even the newer overhead cam Robin-Subarus. That makes it "different" and I like different. :thumbsup: Without researching, I would guess the EY29 to be in the 8hp range.

Different is always cool...

I sure can't wait to get that 34 Ford Coupe street rod finished, so we can take it to shows and park it in that looooooong line of other 34's...:mad2:

The belt primary drive will be a little quieter than a chain clutch, probably a little less violent on engagement too.

There doesn't seem to be much following for the flathead Wisconsin-Robins or even the newer overhead cam Robin-Subarus. That makes it "different" and I like different. :thumbsup: Without researching, I would guess the EY29 to be in the 8hp range.

Yeah I really want it to be a smooth engagment!.
Ey28 is a 8 hp engine. This towers over my old briggs 8hp... Maybe 9 or so.

Its Neat looking though!