So what did I just buy?

markus

With Bird fake spoke wheel assemblies, Its a Heinz 57 mash up bike, it would not be worth too much redone in that fashion, good parts bike or beater/rider

mustangfrank

Awesome...thank you. So it has the "Rupp" name....does it have some "Rupp" value? I paid $150
Parts will have "Rupp" value added when you buy them for sure! Neat to see who got it, I watched that auction. If those head tube repairs are straight (they ain't pretty), she'll make a great rider...if the engine runs the price was right.

markus

@markus, re: "Bird fake spoke wheel assemblies". How are they constructed? I am unfamiliar.
I would guess they were stamp cut faces? and then welded together. They are actually strong wheels. The chrome was nothing to write home about but they ran pretty straight, at least the set I had on a Bike Bird made for JC penney that was called a Digger (2nd generation 1973) but they used them on a couple of bikes in the early 1970's like the Zapper and antother bike that didnt have a name just a model number. The wheels pre date the ugly welded big spoke 10" wheels they used on the later made "Spoker" bike which became the Thunderbird. Bird went backwards/cheaper and dropped full suspension and TC's off the bikes as time went on.

I don't think I have any close ups of the wheels when I Polished the $125 turd of a bike up but you can see them pretty good after I dusted them off with glass bead in the cabinet cause the entire bike was spraybombed. when I got it. This thread has a bunch of shots of the bike as I tried to make something out of it though with the wheels at different angles etc.. Dilapidated Digger rebuild

Actually loved that bike, and I only had a few hundred out of pocket at the end of the build which made it even better :D

IMG_1266_zpse6e456e3.jpg

So I am starting the teardown on the Scrambler and I need to know if the front tube is tweaked. It clearly has had some work down up at the neck which I will clean up and make much better but when I flipped it over it seemed like the tube underneath if off center,

The welds that re on it look factory (far different then the welds at the neck repair) so I don't know if this was the design or if the person who welded the upper tube also rotated the down tube. Like I said, the welds under the motor plate look absolutely factory and there is nothing under the plate that would suggest the tube was in any other position.

down tube.jpg under.jpg

markus

So I am starting the teardown on the Scrambler and I need to know if the front tube is tweaked. It clearly has had some work down up at the neck which I will clean up and make much better but when I flipped it over it seemed like the tube underneath if off center,

The welds that re on it look factory (far different then the welds at the neck repair) so I don't know if this was the design or if the person who welded the upper tube also rotated the down tube. Like I said, the welds under the motor plate look absolutely factory and there is nothing under the plate that would suggest the tube was in any other position.

View attachment 270775 View attachment 270776
The frames were made that way

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info.

Colt 1911...I used the same tank on my MTD build. I will likely use it again on this one but maybe the next size up. I need to check out the dimensions of the larger tank. I think the height might look a little better to scale. Is that a factory kick stand? Mine did not come with one.

Can someone post a pic of the kickstand that came with this Scrambler? I see one that looks like one that attaches to the front of the motor mounting plate and swings backwards? Not the typical "kickstand" per say but more of a stand. My question is how would it stay up?

colt 1911

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info.

Colt 1911...I used the same tank on my MTD build. I will likely use it again on this one but maybe the next size up. I need to check out the dimensions of the larger tank. I think the height might look a little better to scale. Is that a factory kick stand? Mine did not come with one.
if the larger tank is longer do not use it. i have mine pushed fully to the rear and the top of the forks just clear with out hitting the tank when turned. the kickstand is some universal style that was already on the bike when i got it. http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/_15330_1970_kickstand.html

Got it.....will check the length. Looks like the 2 liter and the 3 liter are the same length. The 4 liter is about 3" longer

How does that kickstand stay in the up position? Just tension?

markus

Can someone post a pic of the kickstand that came with this Scrambler? I see one that looks like one that attaches to the front of the motor mounting plate and swings backwards? Not the typical "kickstand" per say but more of a stand. My question is how would it stay up?
you will want to rework the edges of the engine plate and problaby the holes the stand sets in as well as like to oval out. the edges get worn from wear, and if not straightened and fixed (I usually reweld the edges and have to reshape too) the stand will drop on a "sweet Jump" or flop over when sitting on it. the stand was a the same for all bikes in 1970, Here is what they looked like from a couple of mine I had redone over the years: