So what did you do on yet another East Coast Rainy Day????

We have a big car and bike show coming up in a week and I am scrambling to get the fleet ready. The Wilderness had been waiting for some TLC and the mildew to be cleaned off. Newly rebuilt H60 to replace the HS50 goes on in the morning. Engine got sprayed in garage and throttle controls are now painted. Front fender is being re-powder coated and will be done on Tuesday. Swapped my Rube Goldberg-inspired band brake to my more correct band brake design and cleaned (and cleaned). This one will be almost as-built save the gas tank.

So what did you do?

Note to self: Gilsons are squirrely with no front fender

When I first built this bike, I geared with an HS50 (governed) in mind and to try to do the trails at Windber, so it's geared at 6.66:1. That's not a good combination for a big block! Still working on dialing it in, but the engine is incredibly strong....so strong it acts like a Manco Thunderbird with the big drive sprocket on it. Top speed, as calculated at 6.66, is 22 mph. I'm going to bring it down to 5.6 or so which will bring top speed up but tame the torque coming from this engine. Starts on first pull, too. Back to heavy rain tomorrow....:sad:

How bout finally organizing all the different sockets I've accumulated.

It's no wonder most techs are broke, 1/2" & 3/8" & 1/4" metric/standard/shallow/deep/torx/security torx/reverse torx/spline drive/reverse spline drive/6 point/12 point/allen in metric & standard/swivel sockets/screwdrivers/oxygen sensor/sending unit/impact shallow & deep/Robertson square drive. :eek:ut:

Last edited:
I cleaned the shop out before I started on this and found parts I forgot I had! I mighta saved some money! :laugh:

And, I brought the gearing down to 5.46:1 and it's still got too much torque. I got the carb really dialed in and now have to spool down the max revs as it pushes out oil and it shouldn't need a catch can!

Last edited:
I cleaned the shop out before I started on this and found parts I forgot I had! I mighta saved some money! :laugh:

And, I brought the gearing down to 5.46:1 and it's still got too much torque. I got the carb really dialed in and now have to spool down the max revs as it pushes out oil and it shouldn't need a catch can!
Remember the 12 point socket I was bitching about? I found it on the end of my torque wrench, in it's case in the bottom drawer, NOT in the socket drawer, and not in my special tools drawer. I came so close to buying another one.

That whole "rule of thumb" on bike ratios has to be taken with a grain of salt. Horsepower to weight ratios aren't even considered in strictly mathematic formulas, not to mention torque to RPM plotting, unless you put it on a dyno. It's just a number to guide the inexperienced into a workable ratio, or to show the younger crowd how fast they might go, if they spin their Predator to 9000 RPM.

Go with a catch can, and knock it down to 5:1 and ride the heck out of it. If it keeps on raining, the levee's gonna "brake." :laugh:

Allegedly, "Sol" is going to make its presence know today. Things might dry out a little bit (after another inch last night). The levees have already overflowed and there's a new channel in the Rappahannock River....never thought I'd see that. The river has stayed at flood stage the entire month of September. Maybe I can test the ARCO this morning...