Solved...its a Caper Cycle

I found this buried in the leaves behind our house. I can't find any markings or stamped numbers anywhere so I'm hoping someone on here will be able to identify it. The engine is a Powermate 3.5hp but my guess would be its not original. The main features the I think will help with identification are the gas tank (plastic with a mounting system designed for a mini bike), the fenders (heavy aluminum with a heavy ridge running down the center) and the front fork suspension (small springs built into each fork at the bottom where the wheel attaches). I'll include a picture of each item. I don't think this is a backyard build based on the numerous grease zerks located on the bike. The welds are really decent too. I'm just curious if anyone recognizes the model/brand.
It obviously needs some TLC and a clutch (among other little things) but I'm excited to bring it back to life. I pulled the plug and poured a cap-full of gas in the engine and to my surprise it fired up on the first pull!! The rear wheel is off while I was freeing up the drum brake. 20201011_121730.jpg 20201011_121916.jpg 20201011_121848.jpg 20201011_121738.jpg 20201011_121957.jpg 20201011_121730.jpg 20201011_121916.jpg 20201011_121848.jpg 20201011_121738.jpg 20201011_121957.jpg

markus

1963 most likely, Not sure how much longer they were being sold, but that was the first year that they enlarged the frames, so a 4 stroke engine could fit in them, larger wheels and brakes too. There should be a serial number stamped on the underside of the engine plate, It wont tell you anything about the bike, just curious what it is, mine is in the 500's and its the earlier 2 shorter 2 stroke frames. The engine is mid 1990's most likely.

Serial number 1474.

So now that I know what it is (and it seems kinda rare) is it sacrilegious to fix it up and let the kids ride it around the farm? I mean, I'm not dealing with some crazy valuable bike here...right?

mustangfrank

Serial number 1474.

So now that I know what it is (and it seems kinda rare) is it sacrilegious to fix it up and let the kids ride it around the farm? I mean, I'm not dealing with some crazy valuable bike here...right?
Getting a forgotten mini running again and riding it is never sacrilegious...putting a Chinese engine on it would be.

markus

Serial number 1474.

Thanks for the info, I replied to your PM questions. Good luck with it!

Oldsalt

I found this buried in the leaves behind our house. I can't find any markings or stamped numbers anywhere so I'm hoping someone on here will be able to identify it. The engine is a Powermate 3.5hp but my guess would be its not original. The main features the I think will help with identification are the gas tank (plastic with a mounting system designed for a mini bike), the fenders (heavy aluminum with a heavy ridge running down the center) and the front fork suspension (small springs built into each fork at the bottom where the wheel attaches). I'll include a picture of each item. I don't think this is a backyard build based on the numerous grease zerks located on the bike. The welds are really decent too. I'm just curious if anyone recognizes the model/brand.
It obviously needs some TLC and a clutch (among other little things) but I'm excited to bring it back to life. I pulled the plug and poured a cap-full of gas in the engine and to my surprise it fired up on the first pull!! The rear wheel is off while I was freeing up the drum brake. View attachment 269959 View attachment 269960 View attachment 269961 View attachment 269962 View attachment 269963 View attachment 269959 View attachment 269960 View attachment 269961 View attachment 269962 View attachment 269963
Aaron
Ya. It is a later model judging by that front fender and etc. Only the later production had the fenders 'clipped' 1 inch at 45 degrees on the corners rather than a full radius. I also can see that it has the .120 thick aluminum rather than the .080 used earlier. Picked up material today and located my dies so a couple of pairs can be made. Long ago I had some Caper Cycle 'decals' reproduced for the forks. Still have 4 left. I'm attaching a photo of the price list used in the office at Ben Hunt's shop. This is a copy of the original which a relation of Ben's was kind enough to give to me. You can see the NET price [before retail price] hand written in the far right column. DSCF8843.JPG DSCF8843.JPG

Thanks OldSalt! I'd love to get a pair of fenders. I think I'd actually prefer the rounded corners if that's an option. I honestly thought a previous owner had "snipped" the corners off for a custom look at some point....I didn't realize that was original. I'd like a decal or two if you'd spare them. Just let me know what I owe ya.
Thanks everyone. I got the frame and forks blasted/primed last week and its in really good shape. A little pitting but very solid and mostly straight. I think I'll go a little fancier that implement grade on the paint but we'll see. I'm excited to see it come together. I'll post pics as I make some progress hopefully.

Wow....I can't believe its been 2.5 years since I found this thing. I've gotta get to work on it.....

I was fortunate enough to meet up with @Oldsalt and get some great new fender and some other cool parts. He even had a sweet vintage engine that will fit the bike perfectly. I sandblasted the entire frame and its sitting in epoxy primer waiting for me to decide on a color.

Luckily it still had the cross shaft when I found it, but the clutch side was missing. I'll need to get a new clutch and sprocket for that side of the shaft....the other sprocket was still in place. Does anyone have a suggestion on what clutch I should buy? I'm totally new to the minibike stuff so any information or suggestions would be awesome. I'll also want to replace tires....any "correct" tires I should go with??

Thanks.

sonerenos

Wow....I can't believe its been 2.5 years since I found this thing. I've gotta get to work on it.....

I was fortunate enough to meet up with @Oldsalt and get some great new fender and some other cool parts. He even had a sweet vintage engine that will fit the bike perfectly. I sandblasted the entire frame and its sitting in epoxy primer waiting for me to decide on a color.

Luckily it still had the cross shaft when I found it, but the clutch side was missing. I'll need to get a new clutch and sprocket for that side of the shaft....the other sprocket was still in place. Does anyone have a suggestion on what clutch I should buy? I'm totally new to the minibike stuff so any information or suggestions would be awesome. I'll also want to replace tires....any "correct" tires I should go with??

Thanks.

Do you happen to know if OldSalt has anymore fenders? I am in need of an early and a late set.