Some people just don't get it or just don't care.

Here is a great one for all of you. I was scanning the Facebook Marketplace yesterday. (Like I always do.) I found a really nice 1988 Ford Ranger. My favorite truck. (Keep your opinions to yourself, this is my story) I messaged the owner and she said that it was still available, that it had been painted about 8 years ago, no rust. It had A/C, 2.9 V6, and a 5 speed transmission. They were asking $2000. I asked if I could come and look at it after I got off work. It would take a little over two hours to get there so they suggested that I come in the morning because it would be getting dark if I went after work. We agreed on 12:30 pm the next day. My Uncle picked me up and we started out. About 2 hours in I called to let them know we were close. I also needed directions to their house because they wanted to meet me at a store and lead me in. An older woman answered and tried to give me directions. After a few minutes of trying to describe to her where I was, I just asked her for her address. She gave it to me. I told her I would be there shortly, hung up the phone, and put the address into my GPS. I barely pulled out onto the road and my phone rang. I answered and it was the women. She told me that they had just sold the truck! I asked, “What do you mean you sold it? I set this up yesterday and just drove 2 hours to see it.” She proceeded to tell me that she had told me another man was looking at it. I told her that she hadn’t said anything like that and asked when she supposedly told me. She replied, “I told you not more than 10 minutes ago.” I was dumbfounded. She not only didn’t tell me there was another person interested but like I said earlier, I set all of this up yesterday and told her that it would take me two hours to get there. I had even offered to come the night before and at her suggestion I waited until the next day to come up. I hung up the phone and drove home. Some people, no matter how old they are, still have a lot to learn about how to treat people.

Most people are fucking idiots. I hate selling stuff for this exact reason. As a seller, I go in the order that people contact me. If I have something set up with a person, I won't take more from another person earlier just because that's a dick move.

I'm looking to sell my E63 AMG pretty soon. Months ago I mentioned selling it on Nextdoor and had someone from the local Mercedes dealer (who I bought it from) contact me saying they'd make an offer. Even if it's a few thousand under what I really want for the car, I'll be tempted to take it so I don't have to deal with CL or forum bullshit. Going to clean it up this weekend and probably take it over there next weekend if it will stop raining around here.

PatrickCraik

Here is a great one for all of you. I was scanning the Facebook Marketplace yesterday. (Like I always do.) I found a really nice 1988 Ford Ranger. My favorite truck. (Keep your opinions to yourself, this is my story) I messaged the owner and she said that it was still available, that it had been painted about 8 years ago, no rust. It had A/C, 2.9 V6, and a 5 speed transmission. They were asking $2000. I asked if I could come and look at it after I got off work. It would take a little over two hours to get there so they suggested that I come in the morning because it would be getting dark if I went after work. We agreed on 12:30 pm the next day. My Uncle picked me up and we started out. About 2 hours in I called to let them know we were close. I also needed directions to their house because they wanted to meet me at a store and lead me in. An older woman answered and tried to give me directions. After a few minutes of trying to describe to her where I was, I just asked her for her address. She gave it to me. I told her I would be there shortly, hung up the phone, and put the address into my GPS. I barely pulled out onto the road and my phone rang. I answered and it was the women. She told me that they had just sold the truck! I asked, “What do you mean you sold it? I set this up yesterday and just drove 2 hours to see it.” She proceeded to tell me that she had told me another man was looking at it. I told her that she hadn’t said anything like that and asked when she supposedly told me. She replied, “I told you not more than 10 minutes ago.” I was dumbfounded. She not only didn’t tell me there was another person interested but like I said earlier, I set all of this up yesterday and told her that it would take me two hours to get there. I had even offered to come the night before and at her suggestion I waited until the next day to come up. I hung up the phone and drove home. Some people, no matter how old they are, still have a lot to learn about how to treat people.
That really sucks,had the same thing happen to me years ago over an old Vette. I drove about 1-1/2 hrs. to look @ it,brought cash with me. The dick brain owner knew I had a long drive and was on my way. I show up,the guy shakes my hand then tells me the guy walking up the driveway (after I arrive) was from ProTeam in Ohio and already had made a deal on the car. I could have belted this guy. I asked why in the *#CK you didnt call me back and tell me this? He just gave me a dumb look. What a douchebag!

maverick1

I am with you. A person's word should be good but it is not valued by a lot of people. I had something in reverse happen to me a week ago. I had a curio cabinet for sale on craigslist. Had photos and measurements in description. I lady called me from Orlando and said she wanted it and we agreed on a price and the deal was done. I was 2 hours away from my house at another house I am moving to. So I drove 2 hours to my other house to meet her. When she got there she said she thought it was going to be larger and was not interested. It took all I had not to blow a gasket after I pointed out the measurements were in the add. People are just stupid!

1971_MB1A

Most people now days just don't seem to care. In my opinion people should honor their word on giving you 1st chance etc. Myself,if I say I will meet you at 4 am in the morning I'm there. I may be 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late but I'm there.

Addicted 2 Minis

Seeing how she was confused about telling you 10 minutes prior when she never did, maybe she confused the other guy for you. Either way, if they are dishonest, do you really want to buy anything from them?, who knows what they cobbled to get rid f it.

Seeing how she was confused about telling you 10 minutes prior when she never did, maybe she confused the other guy for you. Either way, if they are dishonest, do you really want to buy anything from them?, who knows what they cobbled to get rid f it.
Yea, I thought about that too, but I had set it all up the night before. She knew how far I was traveling.

That has happen to me a couple times. That is why I don't bother with Craig's list anymore.
I agree.a deal is a deal was what i was taught.i have had people back out not show up after a 150 mile drive.not answer me.your exactly right in the modern age if social media no one cares about anyone anymore.and its not alright to send your condolences thru a website when someine dies.you go in person or stay home

pomfish

Please don't shoot the messenger here.
The truck was 1988, it is located somewhere maybe in Ohio? Part of the rust belt, how can it have "no rust" after 30 years?
If it was painted 8 years ago something had to be rusted and only $2000 for a truck of any kind is hard to find these days.
They probably did you a favor.

Now, about you driving 2 hours to get there and then they sold it, that sucks, but here are the real rules for Craigslist, Faceplant, offer up, etc.
You have to be prepared to drop everything you are doing when you see it and just go once you have an address. With CASH.
Only way to have a chance on a deal.

I have been on the other end when some mock conger has promised to be here at a certain time and pay full asking price, I blow off other people and the dick never shows.
Then you are stuck maybe having to list it again and people think you're the dick.
It is all pot luck anymore.
So many scams to watch for as well, buying or selling.

Too many stories of rape or murder because the person stalked the victim by looking at something listed for sale on Craig's
I will not sell on Craigs anymore, not worth the risk to me.

Later,
Keith

Here is a bad experience I had back in 1988 dealing with a jerk. I made a deal with my insurance mans brother who had a 1977 Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer that he agreed to sell me. He and the car were located in Hawaii. After I sent him a deposit of $ 5,000.00 , made shipping arrangements for the car to be shipped back to California, Flew all the way to Hawaii , met the guy, saw and drove the car prepared to pay the balance owed on the car and do the final paper work the guy tells me he has another guy that offered him more than our original agreement and was going to sell it to him. I told him what a ahole he was and the next day I got on a plane back to Calif. I did find another Ferrari Boxer a few months later in Calif. that I purchased but it was a lot more money because that was the exact time when Ferraris were starting to skyrocket in price.