Spare parts CAT 400XEL Slingshot

45t

I think we have all had a pile of extra parts sitting around from previous builds that we think we can build a bike from. Well thats what I tried to do with a lil bit of success almost having enough parts in surplus to get a roller.

I picked up a 400X frame from Mark G. I had a set of wheels left over from I think a Duster MX? Its got the seat and shocks that were on my 400EL Eliminator when I got it. Bad thing I was missing a fork & handle bar set. I do have some damaged 400X bars and one bent forks set, but I wanted somethig a lil nicer. So I bit the bullet and bought an ebay Slingshot bar/fork set up.The forks are longer than a 400X forks so it sits an inch lower in the rear with the 4.10X3.50X6 thats on it. I think a 4.00-6 in the rear will level it out when I'm ready for that step. I have a Kenny 400X seat but no seat rails, so I'll be looking for those too.

At least it rolls now and my spare parts pile is a lil smaller.

Last edited:
I have a Kenny 400X seat but no seat rails, so I'll be looking for those too.

At least it rolls now and my spare parts pile is a lil smaller.
Hey, I have the stock seat rails stripped down for paint right now. I could make you a set pretty easily for a trade if you are concerned about lining stuff up with the Kenny seat and bike. Maybe work a trade.

Also, something I thought would look cool, and since you are putting a Cat-Frankenstein bike together sorta.....how about moving the rear axle tabs back and lowering the rear end a bit more, and stretching the frame a bit more? It would look pretty neat with that longer front fork. I'd do it if I had the extra parts, just to see how it handled...

then put in a hotrod motor and make a dragger outta it. :) Let me know if you want me to work out the seat braces, or need a pattern even.

45t

Hey, I have the stock seat rails stripped down for paint right now. I could make you a set pretty easily for a trade if you are concerned about lining stuff up with the Kenny seat and bike.
Cool, now I have a set of custom made Havasu Dave 400X seat rails coming. :thumbsup: Thanks again Dave, your a good man for hooking me up with them. Now I can get that Kenny 400X seat mounted. I just need to order my 4.00-6 rear tire from OldMiniBikes to get the stance right and I need to freshen up one of the motors I have sitting around and intall it.

I think this will be my Windber bike to ride around for the weekend. :shrug: Hard to say Windber is a long ways away.

45t

Update

Got my Havasu Dave seat rails in today and they are amazing. Great fab work Dave! :thumbsup:

I wasted no time installing them. Thanks Dave.

I also wanted to thank Roccosbike for fixing the engine plate on the 400X and 400EL for me this past weekend. Also great fab work!

Last edited:
Got my Havasu Dave seat rails in today and they are amazing. Great fab work Dave! :thumbsup:

I wasted no time installing them. Thanks Dave.

I also wanted to thank Roccosbike for fixing the engine plate on the 400X and 400EL for me this past weekend. Also great fab work!
LOL, not much fabrication required on those rails, but as long as I had some sitting out, it was easy to make a duplicate set. I'm glad you could use them, and the bike is coming together nicely.

45t

Update with engine

I took a spare 1971 3hp Briggs engine that I had sitting around and had it checked out and some "go power" work done to it to make it more powerful to carry my 200lbs. Most of the Briggs 3hp engines I have struggle to carry me on any other surface but pavement (grass riding and inclines don't work well at my weight). The following work was done:

Ported the intake and exhaust. Lapped the intake valve, exhaust was good. Put an exhaust valve spring on the intake side for higher RPM. Opened up the muffler with some drilled holes in it and gave the muffler and pipe some radius for flow. Carbon removed, points & coil cleaned and set, valve lash checked, new gaskets where needed, carb cleaned and everything tightened down good.

I like the patina of the bike and engine, so I'm going to leave it for now. I don't want it too nice because then I will not ride it. I want this to be my main rider during the summer months and Windber bike.

Sorry for the pic, I took it with my cell phone. I'll get a better pic soon.

Last edited:

45t

Right on 45T! Looks like a decent "rider!"
Thanks Dave, I can't wait to test run it and dial it in. Dang winter!

I also tried a different type of peg cover with this bike. I've always had trouble locating peg covers so I did a search on them and came up with this.

NOS Hunt Wilde Tricycle Bike Violet Glitter Grips 3/4" diameter by 3 3/8" length

I had to grind off the finger notches on one side of each grip and I put that side pointed to the ground so you cannot see it. They are a perfect fit and only cost $6. The guy I got them from also had black, white, blue sparkle and green sparkle. I got the violet ones because I thought it would go good with the color of the bike, looks good to me. A cheap way to go if you cannot find the original style peg covers.

I had to grind off the finger notches on one side of each grip and I put that side pointed to the ground so you cannot see it. They are a perfect fit and only cost $6. The guy I got them from also had black, white, blue sparkle and green sparkle. I got the violet ones because I thought it would go good with the color of the bike, looks good to me. A cheap way to go if you cannot find the original style peg covers.
:thumbsup:

I've been using those thick pegs for a BSA. I think you put them on that Cat 350. They wear well, and feel comfortable.

Hey, I got some old 6" Carliles or however you spell it. I got two of them, and an old Arco. A bit of checking, but not too bad, most of the tread is there. I have no 400-6 except for the one on the Hustler that is trashed. I need one of those myself.

It's warming back up to high 60's here. :) But the garage gets damn cold during the night. (30's lately)

45t

:thumbsup:

I have no 400-6 except for the one on the Hustler that is trashed. I need one of those myself.

)
I think I'll probably just go with the Rupp Trials that OldMiniBikes carries because the 4.00-6 is so hard to find. I got one of the OldMiniBikes Rupp Trials for the 400EL and its real close looking to what the Cats originally took anyway. Bad thing its $55 for one tire. :eek:hmy:

I just need the tire, a kill switch and clutch cover then the "Spare Parts Cat" is ready to go.