speedometer on doodlebug?

Wal*Mart / Schwinn 12 Function Computer did not work OK

The Schwinn 12 Function Computer that I picked up @ local WAL*MART was not reliable. Sent it to the shit can. :doah::doah::doah:

it sorta worked after setup ; but then it didn't and then it did -- believe the unit was defective :hammer:
Are you sure your sensor is close enough to the magnet?This is usually a common problem with these speedos,it has to be really close without touching.Thats why I added something to get it closer,you can't just put the sensor on the fork and expect it to work.Hope that helps...

Great idea

Are you sure your sensor is close enough to the magnet?This is usually a common problem with these speedos,it has to be really close without touching.Thats why I added something to get it closer,you can't just put the sensor on the fork and expect it to work.Hope that helps...
Thank you very much. It works so long as it stays under a certain speed limit.

Also I tried your setup although it turned out to be a bugger. I wanted to do this during the evening and went to two auto parts stores and they don't even carry the weights:confused: So after eventually finding the weights from the tire shop and fiddling to get them on I pasted it with contact cement. Haha, yea i know that was a waste it only held up for a few minutes. But here's one that's even funnier. Good ole krazy glue. Yep that sucker set up in ten minutes and I've got maybe a couple of hours ride time on it. I'm sure the bond won't last long but the speedo setup is a great idea. Have you had any issues with it at higher speeds?

My Baja Blitz has a very inexpensive speedometer that I picked up from eBay for less that $5 with shipping. ( Bike Bicycle LCD Cycle Computer Odometer Speedometer - eBay (item 160305540501 end time Jun-15-09 23:55:42 PDT) ) It has several functions on it including Maximum Speed and Odometer reading (helpful for knowing when to service the engine, clutch, chain, etc.). It was very easy to mount. The magnet I just removed the screw used to attach it to a bicycle spoke and used All Purpose Glue to secure to the rim. The magnet piece had a slit in the plastic that it is attached to the fit very nicely to the rim. I have been riding it around like that for more than 40 miles and have not had it come loose or fall off. Also, FYI, the instructions indicate that the smallest tire size you can use is a 20in. However, when programing it, it requires the exact number of centimeters of the circumference of the front tire. The computer's range allowed for this. Yeah!!! I have checked the accuracy of the speedo using my iPhone's GPS speedometer as well as the the GPS against my SUV's speedometer. All three are accurate to withing 1 mph. Hope this information is useful to any of you.:thumbsup:

that might be worth a shot for $5. is there any lag in the readout of the speedo?
Stigoi, I am sure that there is a small lag, not much, maybe 1/4 second. It keeps really accurate speed to the tenth of a mph as well. There is a wire connecting the sensor to the display so the response seems immediate to me. Not sure how to guage a lag time here. :smile:

Stigoi, I am sure that there is a small lag, not much, maybe 1/4 second. It keeps really accurate speed to the tenth of a mph as well. There is a wire connecting the sensor to the display so the response seems immediate to me. Not sure how to guage a lag time here. :smile:
my GPS might lag by 1/2-3/4 of a second which isn't too bad. if it seems immediate that's good.

Well being Speedometers made specifically for Mini Bikes seems to be a real difficult find I think it would make a Great New Invention if we could figure out how to make one that works flawlessly. I wanna figure it out and make it so it fits perfectly on the MB200 style Bikes and they should sell like hotcakes. ;)

Li'l Popeye

Well being Speedometers made specifically for Mini Bikes seems to be a real difficult find I think it would make a Great New Invention if we could figure out how to make one that works flawlessly. I wanna figure it out and make it so it fits perfectly on the MB200 style Bikes and they should sell like hotcakes. ;)
I have this one installed: It's a tachometer, speedometer and it is capable to show fuel level, if you have a fuel level sensor installed. I didn't have the fuel sensor installed when I made the video. But the gauge is accurate. It can be set to each tire circumference. And it was only €20-€25,-

Mr. Pink

I have this one installed: It's a tachometer, speedometer and it is capable to show fuel level, if you have a fuel level sensor installed. I didn't have the fuel sensor installed when I made the video. But the gauge is accurate. It can be set to each tire circumference. And it was only €20-€25,-

Got a link, or the name of the manufacturer for the speedo you are using?