speedometer solutions

Last edited:
a friend of mine has a portable GPS that we just mount on the bike. it sucks because of the lag (for use as a speedo) but it's accurate for getting your top speed.

markus

My di blasi folding minibike is street legal. my particular year came with a bicycle computer/speedo unit attached to a cadence sensor (magnet trigger intended for cranks on a bicycle) Those are usually intended for measuring the revolutions per mile of your cranks but this one measures speed off the particular computer they have on the bars (its a sigma BC400-probably around 1999/2000 vintage as the bike is a 2000)

I dunno if Di Blasi had this made by sigma or not. I did have to order a new cadence as when I bought my bike the magnet had dissapeared off the sprocket. That and the battery had died in the unit so I had to recalibrate it as well. I used my GPS to calibrate and its pretty accurate.

I don't think its the cadence so much (di blasi just used that because it was easy to install as it uses a flat surface over clipping to a spoke) but I think that its possible that some of the bicycle computer/speedos will let you manually put in the actual overall dia of the tire and it will figure out the speed.

Heres the bike, you can see it has pretty small tires:

Last edited:
yes the instructable I posted explains how to do just that. the normal speedometers basically is a tach that then computes the entered rim diameter and then shows mph based on rpms of that rim size. that is how i understand it at least.

Hmm. Good idea. Another thing to try is to take a mechanical gauge and make a new face for it that is calibrated to your wheel size. Might look more at home on the vintage bikes.