Speedway

cfh

a very late model, probably one of the last. i still question those handlebars though. but in late 1973 they changed the bars on the 14" wheel models to be lower hung. But did they do that on 10" wheel models too? not that i know of... maybe someone else knows? those aren't the 10" wheel handlebars that i've seen on any other speedway. Those look like the original style 14" wheel handlebars. So maybe speedway put the new lower hung handlebars on 14" models, and then used left over original 14" wheel handle bars on the 10" wheel models??? Also the grips aren't typical speedway grips either. Which may mean that the handlebars were changed.

It's a really cool bike though. The late speedways are quite nice because they finally got rid of the 5" driven torque converter and went to 6". Does this one have a 6" driven?

JohnC

a very late model, probably one of the last. i still question those handlebars though. but in late 1973 they changed the bars on the 14" wheel models to be lower hung. But did they do that on 10" wheel models too? not that i know of... maybe someone else knows? those aren't the 10" wheel handlebars that i've seen on any other speedway. Those look like the original style 14" wheel handlebars. So maybe speedway put the new lower hung handlebars on 14" models, and then used left over original 14" wheel handle bars on the 10" wheel models??? Also the grips aren't typical speedway grips either. Which may mean that the handlebars were changed.

It's a really cool bike though. The late speedways are quite nice because they finally got rid of the 5" driven torque converter and went to 6". Does this one have a 6" driven?
I was told they were original and how they came in 73. Also to be honest I highly doubt this bike was ever altered in any way.

Triley41395

Here our some pictures I don't plan to take anything apart. An really on the handlebars I have no idea. Just going by what I was told.
Does it run and ride the way it is? If it doesn't, I'd get running and riding and I wouldn't change a thing. Great find right there.

cfh

it appears in late 1973 Speedway ran out of the traditional 10" wheel handlebars, and moved the 14" wheel handlebars to the 10" wheel models. And then put low hung motorcross bars on the 14" wheel bikes.