Spring loaded wheelie bar ideas for drag bike?

I have a cheapie ridged wheelie bar on the bike now, and it works ok. But if I raise it any… even ½ inch off the ground when it hits the bike gets unstable. So I have it barely touching the ground. Which is hurting weight transfer and traction. Anyone have any cheap DIY solutions to a spring loaded bar?

If you watch the 2 quickest guys race several times at the end of this video (17 min mark) you can see a spring loaded wheelie bar. That bike leaves HARD! Pretty much mopped up the competition aside from the all-out alky bike at the end. Looks like the wheels touch but allow the bike to stay stable because the wheelie bars don’t slam into the ground with a ton of force. There was no comparison off the launch. That is what I’m looking for! Believe this was the go power sports guys. Anyway. Any simple ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Fourtogo

I have a cheapie ridged wheelie bar on the bike now, and it works ok. But if I raise it any… even ½ inch off the ground when it hits the bike gets unstable. So I have it barely touching the ground. Which is hurting weight transfer and traction. Anyone have any cheap DIY solutions to a spring loaded bar?

If you watch the 2 quickest guys race several times at the end of this video (17 min mark) you can see a spring loaded wheelie bar. That bike leaves HARD! Pretty much mopped up the competition aside from the all-out alky bike at the end. Looks like the wheels touch but allow the bike to stay stable because the wheelie bars don’t slam into the ground with a ton of force. There was no comparison off the launch. That is what I’m looking for! Believe this was the go power sports guys. Anyway. Any simple ideas appreciated!

Thanks
I did some experiments with bars on my Top Gas Dragbike . The standard length bars >> equal to wheel base << work ok . Longer bars smooth out the hit to the tire . This is the two parts in the 60ft you are trying maximize. Smooth hard launch under full to near full power . Get bike and rider in to max acceleration in 60ft. I found by adding 8” to what I had made a much smooth leave . And was able have more down track control while riding the bar . .049 tube ID on a mini should acquit X 7/8 make it adjustable from top side not bottom . If rod ends fail they can only crush so far , instead on bottom side where it will very wrong in a hurry .

I did some experiments with bars on my Top Gas Dragbike . The standard length bars >> equal to wheel base << work ok . Longer bars smooth out the hit to the tire . This is the two parts in the 60ft you are trying maximize. Smooth hard launch under full to near full power . Get bike and rider in to max acceleration in 60ft. I found by adding 8” to what I had made a much smooth leave . And was able have more down track control while riding the bar . .049 tube ID on a mini should acquit X 7/8 make it adjustable from top side not bottom . If rod ends fail they can only crush so far , instead on bottom side where it will very wrong in a hurry .
I found the same thing
the bars need to be longer

I agree with Fourtogo on the length of the bars. If the bars are too short it causes the rear tire to lift off of the road and unload causing poor handling. We run long bars and the wheels are set about 2 inches above the pavement. There is nothing wrong with carrying the front wheel as long as the bike runs true and straight.

Fourtogo

We used set them with a 2X4 to start with . 2X4 under front tire bars flat on the ground . If have any front suspension . that’s where you want your static set from .

We used set them with a 2X4 to start with . 2X4 under front tire bars flat on the ground . If have any front suspension . that’s where you want your static set from .
that’s how I made my first set of minibike wheelie bars, 2 by 4 under the front tire!
that is how to get them in the ballpark!

One of the Leadfoot guys has a really nice minibike with a coil over loaded wheelie bar and single wheel.
that bike is quick! I think it’s a rigid frame.
motor is definitely warmed over but not an all out race engine, but that bike launches hard and performs really well!
I feel bad that I can’t remember his name right now.

Thanks again to OldMiniBikes member Ugmold for filming this

look at all the different wheelie bar setups on these minibikes.
the Leadfoot guy is in this video, he has a blue and yellow helmet black byke

you can also see what happens when the wheelie bar becomes detached! thank god Chris wasn’t hurt!

Thanks for all the feed back! I will make mine longer. SO general rule is you want it as long as the wheel base? Axle to axle?

I've been using thick wall alum conduit. Are most of you using steel or moly? I haven't had any issues with breakage yet and I've got a lot of hard launches on these.