Sprite or doodlebug??

I got this frame about a year ago for free and have been planning on building it for my kiddos to ride. Anyone know the brand/model and the year? I'm assuming it had a jackshaft correct? Also what kind of engine did this come with from the factory? One more, what colors are factory for this bike? Thanks everyone! This is my first post but definitely not my last as this is gonna be a long fun project

Attachments

Lizardking

Welcome to the one stop information center for mini bikes known as oldminibikes.com !!

Looks like the doodle bike when you search for fox mini bikes in google images.

Cool start for a project but you'll find out one is not enough after your first ride.

1627853386689.png

Any idea what year it would be? I've built minis and carts for my kiddos for 5 or so years now but never really brought one back to it's original state and am thinking this would be the one to start with due to it's simplicity. Anyone know of some decent pics of one like mine so I can get some idea of what I'm gonna need? I was originally gonna throw a 212 pred on it but without a jackshaft that seems unlikely due to the fact the sprockets wouldn't come close to lining up. In your opinion would it be better to find a smaller Chinese engine that would fit without using a jackshaft or to go with a larger engine like the predator and use a jackshaft? Not looking for outrageous speed, just want something my daughter (11) can cruise around on while checking her traps and just cruising our trails. Thanks for any and all information fellas. I'm really excited to get this thing rolling again

Someone else on the the forum advised me that Fox eliminated the pentagon shaped engine plate in 1970. Your looks very similar to my Sprite. The tell is the footpegs, but need a better pic.

I found a 3hp Briggs from an old edger. The sprockets line up nicely. No need to add a jackshaft.. I upgraded mine to a bendex style rear brake.

Someone else on the the forum advised me that Fox eliminated the pentagon shaped engine plate in 1970. Your looks very similar to my Sprite. The tell is the footpegs, but need a better pic.

I found a 3hp Briggs from an old edger. The sprockets line up nicely. No need to add a jackshaft.. I upgraded mine to a bendex style rear brake.
Here's a pic of foot pegs-

Attachments

mustangfrank

I thought Sprite as well, didn't think the Trail Bug had the scrub brake. Make it whichever you prefer, it wouldn't require any hacking to ditch the scrub brake and install a jackshaft in the same holes. Not sure what year this brochure was for but they all had the pentagon engine plate still.

foxbrochure.jpg

I was told Fox used those stamped footpegs in '68 and '69.

Looks like someone cut some extra slots in your engine plate.
They sure did get a little happy cutting holes,diced her up pretty good. Easy enough to slap a chunk over it however. I appreciate all the info guys!! I'm amazed at how many mini bikes were on the market back in the 60s and 70s!!

I thought Sprite as well, didn't think the Trail Bug had the scrub brake. Make it whichever you prefer, it wouldn't require any hacking to ditch the scrub brake and install a jackshaft in the same holes. Not sure what year this brochure was for but they all had the pentagon engine plate still.

View attachment 281594
I agree. All the pix I've seen of the Bug have a jackshaft.

Thx for posting a full size image. Just added to my collection!

They sure did get a little happy cutting holes,diced her up pretty good. Easy enough to slap a chunk over it however. I appreciate all the info guys!! I'm amazed at how many mini bikes were on the market back in the 60s and 70s!!
I used this stuff to eliminate the extra slots on mine before I painted it: https://tarylfixesall.bigcartel.com/product/valco-cincinnati-steel-reinforced-epoxi-putty

There should be a factory sticker on the n IMG_20170730_110735sm.jpg eck. Probably painted over several times like mine. I used paint stripper to prep the frame. the sticker came off and left a 'shadow'.

I used this stuff to eliminate the extra slots on mine before I painted it: https://tarylfixesall.bigcartel.com/product/valco-cincinnati-steel-reinforced-epoxi-putty

There should be a factory sticker on the n View attachment 281595 eck. Probably painted over several times like mine. I used paint stripper to prep the frame. the sticker came off and left a 'shadow'.
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try! I'm wondering if the sticker is still there,must be a half dozen coats of paint on this frame. Thanks